Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to professionally paint the silver trim pieces on the FJ? Should I sand down the pieces first? Or just give them a quick wash, and paint right over them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is there a way to professionally paint the silver trim pieces on the FJ? Should I sand down the pieces first? Or just give them a quick wash, and paint right over them?
Im certainly no expert but I would personally sand them down, prime them and then paint them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’m just worried that by sanding them, it’s going to get scary with the plastic. Unlike metal, it may come out far from perfect
Just use some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (use it wet) and lightly sand them by hand. It will make the new paint adhere much better. You can do it! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep as said above, sand very lightly with fine grit paper. They also sell primer specifically for painting plastic, I have used it before and it worked great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just use some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (use it wet) and lightly sand them by hand. It will make the new paint adhere much better. You can do it! :)
Concur with Brewster ' s words. Light sanding just to rough up the surface, coat or two of primer that bonds to plastic, and 2-3 coats of paint. For about $60 in materials, I blacked out my wheels, and all the silver trim on my FJ. Way less expensive than getting new wheels and a complete blackout kit. Remember to mask off well - that's the most time- consuming part.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I prefer plasti dip because there's no risk. Clean with dawn dish soap wash it well then either let it dry or blow it off with an air gun. No need to sand for plasti dip. 30 minutes between coats I like atleast 4 coats. Important you spray a coat right before taking any tape off to get a clean line.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I prefer plasti dip because there's no risk. Clean with dawn dish soap wash it well then either let it dry or blow it off with an air gun. No need to sand for plasti dip. 30 minutes between coats I like atleast 4 coats. Important you spray a coat right before taking any tape off to get a clean line.
Exactly! 7 bucks a can and if you scratch it no worries re-spray

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
A-Team Moderator
10,276 Posts
Ah, I was thinking he was just repainting them silver. You know what they say when you ASSUME ........... :)
He may be, I don't know? Most on here want TT black. I've never seen/heard one ask how to repaint the silver or ask what color it is. ASS/U/ME ;)

I sanded the silver Frisbee before the bedliner went on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sanded down the silver trim pieces on the bumper, applied coat of automotive primer, and then a few couple light coats of spray paint (the silver tire disk is truck bed liner, bumper pieces are not). Never did anything like this before and still turned out. Only hassle was driving around without trim pieces for a couple days between the coats of paint, don’t think anyone even noticed. But really building up the courage to do the mod took longer than the project itself. There‘s YouTube videos on how to remove the trim pieces so you don’t need to tape and end up missing any hard to reach spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007FJ 4WD Auto Brick
3 Posts
Just did this a couple of weeks ago. Tried to strip off the paint with aircraft stripper but the new stuff is missing the methylene chloride so it doesn’t work as good as the old stuff. I found it to be a waste of time and $.

I ended up wet sanding with 400 grit just to knock off the shine. Then used an adhesion promoter. Black primer for plastic and then black trim paint, all SEM stuff. Painted everything in place except the mirrors and door handles. Swapped the handles with black Tundra ones and painted the mirrors. Came out ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sanded all silver parts with scotch brite pads, cleaned and painted with dupli-color rocker guard, then a couple coats of bumper and trim paint. Looks great and has held up great since September. so far it is super tough and everyone loves the texture. Also did my sliders with the rocker guard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Using a plastic primer does nothing on painted plastic, and is not needed. The sanded silver paint is the primer. Plastic primer is needed for bare plastic.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just bought a whole front bumper from a guy who tried to paint the silver parts black. I don’t know how he did it, but sand and rocks off the road started chipping away at his paint job and the silver started showing again. Looks like glitter. 👍🏼 👍🏼

1 - 20 of 22 Posts