Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the Overland Expo again this year.
We are taking back roads from El Paso there. We plan to camp one night at Parker Canyon Lake. Any problems with illegals or drug smugglers in the area being so close to the border?
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kai,

Don't know when the EXPO is, maybe you have allready left. But yes, lots of border crossing and drug smuggling all along the border, especially down there from Parker Canyon all the way east to the New Mex Border. Havn't been to Parker Canyon Lake since the turn of the century, nice areas around the lake to camp and there are always some retired fisherman camping for the week with a trailer (depending on temps) which bring safty in numbers. So I'd say Yes to the Lake Campground but NO to camping along those deserted back dirt roads. You can now carry concealed legally in AZ for the time being which I always do when I'm down there around the border.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kai,

Don't know when the EXPO is, maybe you have allready left. But yes, lots of border crossing and drug smuggling all along the border, especially down there from Parker Canyon all the way east to the New Mex Border. Havn't been to Parker Canyon Lake since the turn of the century, nice areas around the lake to camp and there are always some retired fisherman camping for the week with a trailer (depending on temps) which bring safty in numbers. So I'd say Yes to the Lake Campground but NO to camping along those deserted back dirt roads. You can now carry concealed legally in AZ for the time being which I always do when I'm down there around the border.
Thanks for the info.
The EXPO is 1st weekend in April in Amado. We are cutting across this part of AZ for a change of scenery off of I-10.
We are hoping for a few vehicles ,safety in numbers. I'm sure a few of us will be armed.
Kirk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts