Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parking Brake Lever Travel Adjustment

35K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BigDouggieDoug 
#1 ·
To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...lever-travel-adjustment-easy.html#post1981202

After 5.5 years, my Parking Brake Lever has become loose, requiring almost 2 inches of travel before reaching any resistance and 8-9 clicks to fully engage the brakes.

It's an EASY adjustment to bring it back to the factory specification of 5-7 clicks.

Tool: 12mm wrench

1. Unscrew and remove all Shift Knobs:

2. Remove the Parking Brake Hole Cover by gently tugging up on it:

3. Remove the Console Panel by gently tugging up on it. It is held by the five white clips (Nevermind the red and black wires in the picture. They are for my aftermarket 12V sockets):

You will find the nut used to tighten the Parking Brake Cable Assembly, which would tighten the Parking Brake Lever. The nut is located immediately rearward of the Gear Selector Assembly:

4. Using a 12mm wrench, turn the nut clockwise to tighten. Access is limited and the nut tends to return, so keep at it:

As can be seen, I had to tighten nut quite a bit, compared to the pictures above, to reduce the Parking Brake Lever travel down to 6 clicks:

5. Reinstall the Console Panel, the Parking Brake Hole Cover, and all the Shift Knobs. I like that the Parking Brakes are fully engaged with the Lever at a more normal angle now :):

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.