Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
This idea worked well for me and might save you some hassle reinstalling the retaining springs. I compressed the new springs with vise grips and then tied a couple of pieces of fishing line around them to keep them compressed. I then put it all in and was able to easily rotate the outer retainer and once everything was in placed lined up, I cut the fishing line with a small utility knife. It seemed to work well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just realized that this thread has been "stickied" I feel honored!

-B

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I broke into my rear brakes to inspect and possibly replace me parking brake and it turns out it just needed adjustment...and had just needed adjustment for over a year and now I feel like a fool because the adjustment took all of 5 minutes. I did end up replacing the rear pads and rotors just because they were getting REALLY low at 105K miles.

I ended up doing the procedure of turning the star wheel up until it stops and then turning it down 4 clicks which put my e-brake engagement starting at about 8 clicks on the e-brake handle and locking up the rear tires at about 11 clicks. I am VERY happy I didn't have to go through the process of rebuilding my e-brakes but it will happen some day!

·
Registered
40 Posts
X2 on RaginFJ's comment of not having an anchor spring. I'm in this mess today and found that I don't have an anchor spring. After consulting Raybestos' site for spring hardware, there isn't an anchor spring included because it's not in use on the FJ. Hope this saves somebody else some headaches.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great write up! AND thank you sir! I did this a while back and had to follow instructions and sequence of assembly for a different vehicle which caused me alot of grief. I wish I remembered how I went about getting this done so I could share. BUT the important thing is what works on a different vehicle is not necessarily how you piece these floating pieces together. Instructions from another parking brake is not a universal solution. so play around with it an do not start this job late in the day under time constraints. Patience is key here. It can be done- start early in the morning and this will take a few tries at it.
Lastly! I went and bought only a couple of the broken pins and doo dads from Toyota. In retrospect I should have bought the entire kit and shoes then replaced most if not all the parts because it will suck to do it again soon.
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/parking-brake-hardware-kit/duralast-parking-brake-hardware-kit-17395/87304_0_0

update! I remember now. The Youtube video I watched was of a Toyota mechanic working on his own Tundra. This one was great for adjustments.

Watch a couple of these and note that the dimensions differ from vehicle to vehicle and therefore how one would assemble it is completely different even within the same manufacturer-but different model.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=parking+brake+shoe+replacement

21 - 27 of 27 Posts