Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing down a little problem with engine hesitation on my 2008 FJ that just hit 200,000 miles for the last couple of weeks. It was simply when accelerating under partial throttle and around 2200-2300 rpm. Nothing crazy just a little annoying hiccup when accelerating smoothly and anything beyond that or WOT the FJ would run perfect. At idle there was also a small issue because when I was in gear (auto trans) and on the brakes the engine would idle low, alternator voltage would drop to around 13.3v from typical 14.0-14.1v reading in torque and lights would dim, & blower fan would weaken(annoying in -20 temps).

My first thought was a vacuum leak/issue so I checked the hoses, changed pcv valve and clamps. NO CHANGE

Next I cleaned MAF/and throttle body. NO CHANGE

I replaced the MAF sensor, figured it was old hot wire was acting up in cold Alaskan temps the FJ ever experienced until this year. NO CHANGE

Replace spark plugs(50,000 miles on them) NO CHANGE!! :flame:

I was starting to think fuel pump, injectors, ignition coils, transmission torque converter (last transmission flush at 150,000), throttle position sensor(figured out we don't have one), accelerator pedal sensor... :mecry:

But I decide to look at the vacuum hoses around the throttle body one more time...when I spot a black ring of grime around the the butterfly valve. I decide to completely remove it to clean it better (should have done it the first time :bangin:

I'll be honest I am pretty embarrassed at the condition of the other side of the throttle body (a PCV valve was bad 20,000 miles ago probably why it got so dirty....I think) .
I like to think I keep my FJ in pretty good condition :mecry:

Anyways, I cleaned it up, put it all back together and went for a drive... NO MORE HESITATION! The low idle when in gear and on the brakes also went away!

TL;DR Clean your throttle body properly once in awhile!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you just described my problem and remedy perfectly. I’m going in! Thanks!
I have been chasing down a little problem with engine hesitation on my 2008 FJ that just hit 200,000 miles for the last couple of weeks. It was simply when accelerating under partial throttle and around 2200-2300 rpm. Nothing crazy just a little annoying hiccup when accelerating smoothly and anything beyond that or WOT the FJ would run perfect. At idle there was also a small issue because when I was in gear (auto trans) and on the brakes the engine would idle low, alternator voltage would drop to around 13.3v from typical 14.0-14.1v reading in torque and lights would dim, & blower fan would weaken(annoying in -20 temps).

My first thought was a vacuum leak/issue so I checked the hoses, changed pcv valve and clamps. NO CHANGE

Next I cleaned MAF/and throttle body. NO CHANGE

I replaced the MAF sensor, figured it was old hot wire was acting up in cold Alaskan temps the FJ ever experienced until this year. NO CHANGE

Replace spark plugs(50,000 miles on them) NO CHANGE!! 🔥

I was starting to think fuel pump, injectors, ignition coils, transmission torque converter (last transmission flush at 150,000), throttle position sensor(figured out we don't have one), accelerator pedal sensor... :mecry:

But I decide to look at the vacuum hoses around the throttle body one more time...when I spot a black ring of grime around the the butterfly valve. I decide to completely remove it to clean it better (should have done it the first time :bangin:

I'll be honest I am pretty embarrassed at the condition of the other side of the throttle body (a PCV valve was bad 20,000 miles ago probably why it got so dirty....I think) .
I like to think I keep my FJ in pretty good condition :mecry:

Anyways, I cleaned it up, put it all back together and went for a drive... NO MORE HESITATION! The low idle when in gear and on the brakes also went away!

TL;DR Clean your throttle body properly once in awhile!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts