Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
i took the concern to a dealer in trenton nj and according to their service consultant the whole dashboard has to come out.

now do you really think they will be able to put the dash back w/o any further damage. i doubt it.:confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I looked at the photo in this thread and I can say its the scored lines underneath the airbag cover you are seeing.

The 2 running front to back is the true width necessary for the airbag to deploy. The entire rectangle does not open like a hinged door at the windshield side, it will punch through the cover in this scored area.

The 3 horizontal lines are as follows:
The outer-most 2 lines are the hinge points for the "doors" and the center line is where the air bag will split and come out of the cover.

The outer area around these marks act as a buffer area, so if a airbag deploys it doesnt tear up the dash, lowering the replacement costs. Not all airbag deployments mean a vehicle is totalled. The Airbag unit can be replaced by itself where the entire dash is unaffected and unaltered.

Seeing the lines is possible on any vehicle over time and you shouldn't worry about it. If any of the lines are split open, then you should have the airbag replaced. BTW, the whole airbag assembly must be replaced, the door and the airbag are one master assembly. The manufacturer will not allow any alteration or repairs to the airbag assembly at the dealership level. The covers may distort to where it curls up on a corner, it may look horrendous, but its still functional. Most dealers should replace the airbag assembly if the distortion is so bad it may affect the proper deployment of the airbag when its needed.

I'm speaking from experience as trim technician, 8 years Chrysler, 5 years Mercedes Benz and several levels of vehicle design and manufacturing. I have spent may a day replacing airbag and SRS components and have had the opportunity to build a couple of units.

You will see lines on your steering wheel hub over time also.

If you were able to see the underside of the covers you will be surprised how thinly those lines are scored. From what I saw in the pictures posted it's normal and you should not be concerned about it. You can replace it as many times as you would like, it will keep showing up.

Keep your friend's feet or SO's feet off the airbag cover, the weight of the heels on the cover is enough to pop the scored lines. BTW I have seen people get their legs broken from accidental deployment or low speed impact just barely over the deployment threshold. Airbags can go off at any time, even up to 3 minutes after battery power is cut. Although random deployment is rare, it does happen. Be careful.

Dave Allen
Ordered Sun Fusion 6MT (August 2007)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hybrid1 said:
I looked at the photo in this thread and I can say its the scored lines underneath the airbag cover you are seeing.

The 2 running front to back is the true width necessary for the airbag to deploy. The entire rectangle does not open like a hinged door at the windshield side, it will punch through the cover in this scored area.

The outer-most 2 lines are the hinge points for the "doors" and the center line is where the air bag will split and come out of the cover.

The outer area around these marks act as a buffer area, so if a airbag deploys it doesnt tear up the dash, lowering the replacement costs. Not all airbag deployments mean a vehicle is totalled. The Airbag unit can be replaced by itself where the entire dash is unaffected and unaltered.

Seeing the lines is possible on any vehicle over time and you shouldn't worry about it. If any of the lines are split open, then you should have the airbag replaced. BTW, the whole airbag assembly must be replaced, the door and the airbag are one master assembly. The manufacturer will not allow any alteration or repairs to the airbag assembly at the dealership level. The covers may distort to where it curls up on a corner, it may look horrendous, but its still functional. Most dealers should replace the airbag assembly if the distortion is so bad it may affect the proper deployment of the airbag when its needed.

I'm speaking from experience as trim technician, 8 years Chrysler, 5 years Mercedes Benz and several levels of vehicle design and manufacturing. I have spent may a day replacing airbag and SRS components and have had the opportunity to build a couple of units.

If you were able to see the underside of the covers you will be surprised how thinly those lines are scored. From what I saw in the pictures posted it's normal and you should not be concerned about it. You can replace it as many times as you would like, it will keep showing up.

Keep your friend's feet or SO's feet off the airbag cover, the weight of the heels on the cover is enough to pop the scored lines. BTW I have seen people get their legs broken from accidental deployment or low speed impact just barely over the deployment threshold. Airbags can go off at any time, even up to 3 minutes after battery power is cut. Although random deployment is rare, it does happen. Be careful.

Dave Allen
No offense Dave but I can live with everything you said except that it's normal. I also believe that toyota will figure this out and have replacement parts in the future that will not warp.
:huh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have taken my FJ in to the dealer and they were gonna replace the whole airbag unit when they discovered that it isnt the airbag at all it is the dash itself. They (dealer) said that they werent going to replace the dash and suggested that i wait and see if Toyota will come out with a fix for the problem. Toyota is aware of this, at least thats what he told me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hybrid1 said:

Dave Allen
Good info - thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Any updates on this? Toyota is apparently aware...well, almost a year later, has anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Dave Allen
Thanks Dave, I can now sleep at night!:zzz:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Any news guys about the passenger airbag. I checked mine yesterday and the lines appeared i made an appointment with my dealer in order to check it. Did toyota figure out something?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just took delivery of a Black Cherry, 4704E so quite late in the production run. The passenger airbag cover has discernible ridges running perpendicular to the centerline, one a couple of inches from either end. They don't bother me, but I will watch to see if they get worse. That flat dashtop gets hot when the windscreen is in full sun. I noticed the other day that when I removed my sunglasses from the little box on top in front of the driver, they were almost too hot to put on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cover is failing and Toyota will not do anything for me. This is a certified vehicle with the most expensive total care 100K warranty! Is there a service bulletin or recall for this problem?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My cover is failing and Toyota will not do anything for me. This is a certified vehicle with the most expensive total care 100K warranty! Is there a service bulletin or recall for this problem?
My 2010 looks almost identical to this. Same spot. Same amount of bowing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can report the issue on www.safecar.gov. This is a common problem with the FJ and Toyota will not take responsibility unless they are required. Report it and maybe they will do a recall or service bulletin. This does change the original deployment of the airbag and could hurt a passenger in your car.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My 2014 TTUE is doing this already and I have only had it since July 18th. The 2007 FJ never did suffer from the warped cover, so what gives?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts