Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the spot where the axle is attached with the boot that it's coated in grease. It's the inner not outer one.

Compared to the drivers side, and that one is clean and clear, still see clip on boot just fine.

Is this something simple? Rebuild? Normal? Panic?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Noticed the spot where the axle is attached with the boot that it's coated in grease. It's the inner not outer one.

Compared to the drivers side, and that one is clean and clear, still see clip on boot just fine.

Is this something simple? Rebuild? Normal? Panic?

Thanks!
Mine look like that also. How many miles do you have? I have about 160,000. purefjcruiser.com sells the rebuild kit (includes 2 boots and grease) for about 32 bucks. I would not be too worried about but I would get them rebuilt sooner than later.

I would buy new axles and install those. Then rebuild the stock axles and keep them as spares for when you wheel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops! Meant to say that: good catch.

It's a 2007, with 170,000 miles, 4WD.

I have 'sort of' been feeling for months what I swear is a loose tie rod or like a wheel isn't totally tightened on right. It's not that dramatic, but it's noticeable. Had those checked, was told they are fine, but now I find this and it's got me wondering.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone happen to rebuild their axles themselves? Expensive? Tough?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whoops! Meant to say that: good catch.

It's a 2007, with 170,000 miles, 4WD.

I have 'sort of' been feeling for months what I swear is a loose tie rod or like a wheel isn't totally tightened on right. It's not that dramatic, but it's noticeable. Had those checked, was told they are fine, but now I find this and it's got me wondering.
it also could be the steering rack bushings. Iv got a clunking in the steering sometimes, mostly when i offroad. You can tell if its the steering rack if you have a buddy turn the wheel while you watch the rack. if it moves, then you need to replace the bushing or the rack.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Buy the clamp kit on E bay about 20$ for all 4 clamps. Pry off the old clamp with a screwdriver. Clean & install new clamps done.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Look it Bandi's CV boot fix. All you need to do is purchase the clamps and replace with the new ones. I've done this on both sides, over a year ago and not a drop has come out since.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I swapped out my driver side halfshaft several months ago. The boot had torn and was leaking. Since you have to take the halfshaft out anyway I felt it would be easier to just swap in a new (refurbed) one instead of rebuilding it. I can now rebuild the boot on my stock one. The passenger side was merely leaking, but hadn't torn yet, so I just put the clamps on like those being suggested in this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts