Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
passing emmisions test with newly installed k&n aircharger high-flow intake kit...???

so, now that i've got it installed, i'm guessing emisions shouldn't be an issue as the k&n filter will still do the same job that the factor would do...

my question is though, "will the emissions testing facility allow my to pass the test as the original engine has been modified?" is that a modification? i could always go get an emissions test tommorrow and see if it passes or not...

for the last four years, my toyota solara was tested by just plugging it into the computer... i don't even recall if they even looked at the engine compartment. the fj will be the same, just plug the vehicle into the testing computer.

anyone have any experience with this yet? perhaps on other cars?

thanks,

--c

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Re: passing emmisions test with newly installed k&n aircharger high-flow intake kit...???

I can't speak to testing in Nevada, but here in Colorado it's never been an issue, and I've been using K&N's (and now AirRaid) for years and years with no problems at the emissions testing shop.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Re: passing emmisions test with newly installed k&n aircharger high-flow intake kit..

In California, the K&N AirCharger systems ARE NOT LEGAL for street use, and will fail the visual inspection portion of the emissions test. They DO NOT have a Calif Air Resources Board (CARB) exemption number. THe TRD and AFE kit are street legal, however...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: passing emmisions test with newly installed k&n aircharger high-flow intake kit..

In California, the K&N AirCharger systems ARE NOT LEGAL for street use, and will fail the visual inspection portion of the emissions test. They DO NOT have a Calif Air Resources Board (CARB) exemption number. THe TRD and AFE kit are street legal, however...
If you have a CARB # for the TRD or AFE please post it, The TRD says for off road use only, and I cannot find anythind for the AFE.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: passing emmisions test with newly installed k&n aircharger high-flow intake kit...???

The TRD and Afe are both illegal in Cali....Airaid is the only one that I know for sure is legal in all 50 states...but I believe K&n is also good in all 50...

·
Registered
190 Posts

oops thought these refered to cai.....my bad....dunno about air chargers

·
Registered
238 Posts

Saw your post on emissions. Im in california, and im planning on getting cold air intake and i hear most intakes are illegal except for offroad use only and i really dont want to have to keep taking on and off. I have 2008 fj . Afe is safe if i need a smog check you say? Im also wanting to get jba headers and doug thorley exhaust dual exit. Hope all of it will not get in hte way of the smog testing. Thought ide ask someone who prob. knows this. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts