Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I want some back up lights or rear lights. What do you guys think of what kind of beam pattern is suited best for this? I probably won't solely use these lights solely for just reversing but camping out and may need a little more light. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I disagree with the fog suggestion. If you are going to use them for camping and more light rather than just backing, I would get some flood lights. I have 2 55w Pro Comp fogs on the rack that I use for the same thing you will use them for. IMO the beam pattern is too defined. The fogs light up a rectangle about 20 feet wide and about 10 feet deep behind the truck, but nothing at eye level or near the back of the truck, if that makes sense. They help, but it could be much better with a different beam pattern. I'll be switching to a set flood lights when spring rolls around.

If you want some pics of my setup and how I mounted things and routed the wires, just let me know. Would love to help.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Flood X2

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am debating adding lights to the back of my fj as well. I had decided on flood lights already. But I too am contemplating how to arrange them. Not sure if the poster would mind this info, but those who have added lights to the back would you mind sharing mounting position and wiring, and possibly what brand/which lights you used. Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have two Pro Comp lights mounted on the bottom bar of the stock rack. Right now they have a mount that I made out of small angle iron that will be swapped out for a couple black billet mounts so it looks better. I've just been to lazy and cold to get it done.

As for the wiring, I have it going through the rack, then down through the rack foot on the drivers side. After that it goes down the d-pillar and up to the front of the vehicle. Besides the inch or so that the wires are visible up near the lights, the wiring is completely hidden. It took about an hour extra to mod the rack to fit the wires through, but is very much worth the extra time for the clean look.

I'll get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys!!! Pics would be awesome. I think Flood is the way to go.

·
Registered
900 Posts
N-FAb rear bar with cheapo "Baja" lights from Advance, I hit to many trees to put any real money into the lights..

Use mine to lock the gate at work behind me at night, Also very handy if you have a boat and need to launch/recover at night!
:cheers: duck hunters!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Definitely flood. Rigid Industries in Mesa makes some solid LEDs. I have a pair of the Rigid Dually floods (2"x2") that I plan on using for the same purpose.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. I still need to finish taping up the wires, add a couple grommets and put on the new billet clamps. The hose clamp and brackets I made, work just fine, but look like crap. Anyway, it gives you a general idea.

Here's an up close of how I have them mounted.

This is the only wiring you can see from the outside, or inside. It gives it a very clean, OEM look. Minus the crappy brackets.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. :cheers:

·
Registered
947 Posts
if you go with visionx led, Id use a euro pattern (i think they changed they name to 15/45), as it gives a decent flood in the immediate area and longer spot throw.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts