Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y does using the 4h on dry pavement damage a automatic transmission? The 6MT is in 4h all the time...doesn't damage the clutch...Can u use the 4L or LL on the 6MT on dry pavement or would that damage something (not withstanding it would be pointless to use those features on dry pavement)?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
the 6MT has a "H", "HL", and "LL" no 4H.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The manual and automatic transmissions are attached to different types of transfer cases. Four High on the auto is equivalent to High Locked on the manual. On dry pavement you should only use 2wd/ 4 Unlocked on the respective systems. There are several rather in-depth discussions on the differences in other threads, so I won't go into it here.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
The very short answer to this is, when it is 4WD, the front tires turn at a slightly different speed than the back ones. (All 4WDs do this to one extent or another.) Being off pavement or in snow conditions allow the tires and power train to adjust.

Since the owner's manual states we should drive at least 10 miles a month in 4WD, it makes good sense to find a dirt road or some other off-road area where you can run it for a bit every once in a while just to keep the internal components oiled and allows for finding leaks before a problem appears when you really need the 4WD.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there such a thing as 4h or just in my mind...???

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The manual and automatic transmissions are attached to different types of transfer cases. Four High on the auto is equivalent to High Locked on the manual. On dry pavement you should only use 2wd/ 4 Unlocked on the respective systems. There are several rather in-depth discussions on the differences in other threads, so I won't go into it here.
yea i was gonna put a link to it but i can't find it now!

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Is there such a thing as 4h or just in my mind...???
yes.

because the t-case ties the front and rear ends together via the driveshaft, if one end is spinning faster than the other, imagine the stress on the gears and chain in the t-case if there is no tire slippage. off road, that is why one drive tire is always chirping during turning, because of the different speeds at which the front and rear end is traveling. if the differentials are locked, its even worse.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
The actual nomenclature is High, High Locked, and Low Locked.
The above is correct for the 6MT.

For the 5AT it's 2WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo.

Here's what the tires are doing in a turn. With the 6MT in HL or LL or the 5AT in 4Hi or 4Lo, both front and rear axles are physically locked together.

Here's a diagram courtesy of L8Apex. Hope this helps. DEWFPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts