Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone actually taken off their pcv to check for contamination?

My FJ has 25,000 miles on the odo, and I'm wondering if now might be the time to do it.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I don't remember seeing it in the O.M. as part of regular maintenance. Maybe I missed it.

Anyway, I use synthetic motor oil and in my experiences synthetics don't vaporize as much as dino oil even in searing hot operating conditions and seem to not gum up PCV valves and the like. I've checked them on other, older vehicles and they were clean (free and sliding) after 50k mile intervals.

I think Jayman is the only other member here that I've even heard mention the PCV valve on the FJ.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
151 Posts
I changed my PCV at about 36,000 miles...the old one I pulled off wasn't that dirty....but the valve was not as "free moving" as the new one.

I'm a preventive maintenance "feak"....and have done this in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my PCV at about 36,000 miles...the old one I pulled off wasn't that dirty....but the valve was not as "free moving" as the new one.

I'm a preventive maintenance "feak"....and have done this in all my vehicles.
how did you remove it, I'm scared I'll breake something...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I checked my PCV valve for gunk and it's a little bit hard to brake it for the first time, Just before I brake it I just measure how far it was screwed in to make sure I put the new one back the same spec. I use a breaker bar and a long extension for my socket (19 mm ) once loose I use the ratchet to take it off completely, It's a bit dirty in there, gunky so i decided to buy a new one $3 a piece and clean the old one for spare, I will inter change it every oil change. The hose seems clean and no clogged what so ever. Check the hose for leakage or get it change ($20). I am trying to find this high pitch noise coming from my engine every time I accelerate, and sometimes the noise is there when idle. Oh well got to find MJ in my engine, it's annoying!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts