Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1864 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
4X4, MT, Regular unleaded. 15 - 16 in the city. around 18 - 19 on the road.
Only upgrade is the Air Raid intake. Driving habits change with price of gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my FJ (8 mos old) and the gas mileage just keeps getting better ... I drive~ 100 miles/ day... ave. 70mph hwy.. she is a 4X4 auto w/ roof rack...I use 89 octane, change oil every 3000 miles and I get 21 mpg!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
For my first tank I got 19.2 mpg with a 15 gallon fill up.

Is it usual for the gas light to come on with 4 gallons left?

·
Registered
233 Posts
1st tank went so fast i didn't even notice the mileage..
second tank.. some in town and a 2 hour interstate trip at 70mph

wishing for more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
WoW right at 1800 miles I decide to take a 322 mile trip to Arkansas to visit family. I got 19.6 MPG on the trip there. Then I got another 19.6 mpg riding around town for three days.

AND GET This 21.97 MPG coming back home. Im just going to call it 22MPG That is better than I thought possable from this thing. Will it get better?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Damn this thread is long. Got in about 8 pages and skipped to the end.

4x4 A/T with stock Dunlops. 80% city, 20% highway
First tank 16.7 MPG

I filled up on the way to get my 265/70/17 BFG A/T's. I'm only through 1/3 of my second tank. I didn't want to give myself too many grand illusions with the stockers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1st tankful - 17.4mpg, about 70%hwy 30%city. My driving style is average, that is not to beefy, but pushing the gas every now and then. My old 4Runner got about 19, so I'm hoping to get a little closer to that later. I try to keep the tires properly inflated, the highway speed around 65-70, and extra weight out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
372 Posts
22.7 on long steady highway miles. Had this for several tanks between salt lake and jackson.

·
Registered
75 Posts
About 3000 miles on the odo and on a 500 mile trip to northern Cal, cruise control set at 70 most of the way, A/C on all the time, got just over 22mpg. City is abt 16+, using premium gas. The FJ ran so sweet the whole trip!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a k&n installed with the roof rack. I have been really trying not to drive over 80mph "hey its miami, its dead stop traffic or we fly down the road" on the freeway and limit my city driving. I got 13.2 mpg. This mpg is very sad for a toyota...... I am now trying to get it to 14 this week. Wish me luck, I will need it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
18 MPG exactly with 89 octane gas. 90% City 10% Highway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My first tank of gas, i calculated 18.3 mpg...it was a mix of highway and city driving..i have a roof rack with added yakima crossbars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm averaging 20mpg, city/highway combined. I tend to be heavy on the throttle on the highway. Off road, I tend to 'creep'. On a 800 mile highway trip with my wife, I set the cruise control at 60-65mph, and we constantly hit 22mpg. But we haven't broken 10K miles yet, so I hope to get even better after the engine is truely broken in.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
On 91 octane, I usually will hit about 270-320 before the light comes on. At that point, I can usually fill about 16.2 gallons. So I average 17-19mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove to the bay area and back, and really wasnt impressed. I got 248 miles on a full tank when I went to SF yesterday. Plz somebody tell me this is only because its breaking in lol.
Roof rack, 4wd auto on stock tires. No lift, skid plates or rock rails. My worst tank was 14.4 mpg all on surface streets about 20 days after purchase and 1K miles on the odo. My best tank so far was 18.44 mpg with half city/half highway driving and about 1,600 miles on the odo. My fillups usually take 15 gallons. Haven't gotten comfortable yet figuring out if I'm really empty or still have 4 gallons in the tank. The gauge is a little deceiving...thank god; my wife would run it bone dry if 'E' really meant empty :silly:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok Iv been running 93 in the FJ the last 3 tanks and my mpg are getting worse than with 87. I did get the best MPG on 91 octaine on vaccation to Ark. However I cant find 91 in the DFW area. :[

·
Registered
29 Posts
The most I've gotten is 350 highway miles out of 1 tank of gas. I think I must have been sucking fumes. I was getting worried.

881 - 900 of 1864 Posts