Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Who, me? NEVER!

I am actually amazed at some of the new information. I will be honest, I am terrified of the price. I built my FJ and I am still terrified of what "may" become of the price of this thing. I can't decide, auto or manual. I think the determining factor will be price.

Love the new Toyota updates on the site. Now, throw in pricing and we are good!

I couldn't leave you guys, hangin'. That just wouldn't be right. I might have to suck it up and get a third job...

I have to have sun fusion. I have to have 4x4. The convenience package - yeah thank's a lot Toyota - and apparantly upgrade pack 2#, then there's the options... Aux lighting, rock rails, roof rack, TRD exhaust, Hitch (but maybe I just install my own depending on what they expect for price), wind deflector, floor mats/cargo mats.

That should do it. But where does that put me? $28K? $45K? Freakin' Toyota. They're gonna keep screwing with our minds and we'll all end up with something else. What's with the mileage, too? Here they've been saying mid-20's and edmond's got a whopping 15.7? LAME!

Depends solely on price now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome back PERCY.

"Depends solely on price now."

I am 100% with you. I am now hearing a rumor of mid or end of January for official MSRP pricing. Pure torture!!! A 4WD Tacoma commands a $1,620 premium over the 2WD model, so I think the 2WD/4WD FJC pricing will be similar. Reality is hitting me that the FJ will not be as affordable and low priced as Toyota would have us believe, and that's to bad. I really want this compact "back to basics" SUV, but I will have to pass if the base price starts at 25K. Even a base model at MSRP will end up at around 27.5K "out the door", and that's if you can find one for MSRP! I am trying to be optomistic about affordable pricing, but will have to be patient along with the rest of the members.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am getting manual drive... less lazy than auto and with the power this tings come with will make it a more involving experience comepared to one foot doing the pedal work...
..Interesting to hear that Toyota are predicting 90% sold will be 4x4

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'm with you all, worried about pricing. We have heard 22 to 28K but I am sure that is only for the base truck plus options. Who knows how much the accessories will run.....

If my ideal FJ costs 35K I may have to rethink not buying a Limited 4-Runner. The 4-Runner isn't as ideal for my off road needs but it meets the on road needs a little better and at the same price I may be hard pressed to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with you Granger. I priced out the Taco of my dreams, provided I fit in the thing comfortably, and I was looking at about $27K, $33K on a maxed out V6 SR5 4Runner. I'm not going to pay more than $33K for the FJ. And that's that. Ridiculous to fork out that kind of cash just to have something new.

Speakin of paying. Do any of you guys have the California Dealer's information, the guy that was taking deposits for the waiting list and guaranteeing MSRP?

·
Registered
46 Posts
okay I'm reaching out for a little advice here, and hoping to avoid too much criticism. I'm not a "soccer mom" nor a "cheerleader". I am, however, a woman who's looking for a SUV with great design and the reliability that Toyota can provide and have fallen in love with the FJ. That being said, will I ever go off roading? Hmmmm...I've actually been thinking about it a lot lately but the likelihood is low. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should opt for a 4x2 and what a limited slip differential brings to the table that other run of the mill autos lack. Genuine advice is greatly appreciated and if you're thinking of not so pleasant things to say, just remember that I may be that person ahead of you on the dealer's list who may be passing on the "4x4" of your dreams.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Let's put it this way Bobbi, if you're not going to go rockcrawling you probably don't need the 4x4. I'm no picking on you or harrassing you, I'd even venture to say half the 4x4's sold are only going to be sold due to testosterone.

I have taken nearly every 2wd, I have ever owned to places that 4x4 guys liked to go - you will probaly be just fine with the limited slip differential. Think "posi-trac" limited slip differential is going to keep your wheels turning even if it's stuck. A 2wd without some type of posi trac or limited slip is really a 1wd, since when one tire get's stuck it stops spinning and the opposite tire begins. Limited slip reduces this tendency.

I probably didn't explain that well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Percy. I don't have resale in my sights, but any opinion on how much it being a 4x2 would hurt down the road? It has always seemed like a given that a SUV should be a 4x4 but realistically the stats of how many actually leave the pavement say otherwise.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Percy,
Here you go....from an earlier post. ejr

Re: Taking Pre-Orders now @ MSRP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK boys and girls, not that this is anything new, but I put my deposit down on one today. Heres the details:
1) MSRP
2) $500 deposit & yes they are cashing my check and holding my money for several months
3) Deposit fully refundable at any time, including when looking at the vehicle and if I decide to walk
4) No dealer add-ons
5) Right of first refusal on all vehicles, ok....2nd since Im second in line

I will submit my request for options when the orders go in....December sometime. Nothing new as far as delivery or price info. Seems like they don't even want to comment on rumors, but who can blame them with this group of Pirahnas ready to pounce on any comments. If you're in Southern California and looking to lock down MSRP, not great, but it guarantees you a vehicle, try this guy.

Geoffrey Miller
Fleet/ Internet Manager
Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita
[email protected]
949.766.2067 direct
949.766.2063 fax
BTW, no I don't get anything for pushing his name. Good luck all !!!
EJR

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bobbi said:
Thanks Percy. I don't have resale in my sights, but any opinion on how much it being a 4x2 would hurt down the road? It has always seemed like a given that a SUV should be a 4x4 but realistically the stats of how many actually leave the pavement say otherwise.
Another question you need to ask is what is weather like in your area. If you live in the snow belt I would not want a real wheel only truck. A rront wheel drive car acturally easier to manage snow and ice then any real wheel drive. 4x4 is better the rear wheel drive but not all that better then front wheel in MHO.

Gas mileage will be better with 2x4.
As with any toyota, no mater what resale will not be a problem but likely silightly easier with 4X4,
Just remember no matter what dont pay over MSRP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in the DC area and snow is not the norm but happens (and shuts the city down). I was reading up on the TRAC system. It seems this with the locking rear differential may do the trick for our weather (any thoughts?). I have lived here for 5 years and never been stuck in my front wheel drive car, even though the city doesn't plow our alley.
The dealer I'm dealing with says they "never" charge over MSRP...here's hoping!

On a side note I'm a little dismayed that a rear wiper is not a standard or seperate option.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It is a separate option, comes with the Convenience Package. (Did I mention I hate packages?)

EJR - Thanks for that, I emailed him. So long as the list isn't too long, I'll place my deposit at the end of the week. So long as he emails me back, that is.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
bobbi, get a 4x4, if only to prove you're not a cheerleader.

i'm in the dc area also and go out to VA to climb over stuff. i know you wouldnt want to be left out

·
Registered
46 Posts
lol, If I can climb over stuff in my 4" heels I'm sure I can hang w/my 4x2! Go team go! Now where are those damn pom poms I stole from the head cheerleader while climbing over her Rover? No worries Buffy, that came with touch up paint, didn't it? Or did you not get that "package"?! :D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Nice! Welcome Bobbi the non-cheerleader.... you rock.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
at least part of the reason for the FJ's appeal in your eyes must be it's off-road image. the reason that has credibility is, obviously, b/c of the FJs 4x4 system.

Therefore, to get an FJ in 4x2 dressing is the equivalent of visiting the Eiffel Tower and only going to the second floor.

It is like taking the Trans-Siberian Railroad halfway and turning back.

It is like going on Safari and not shooting an elephant.

Like a boxing match without a knockout.

A massage without a happy ending.

The knowledge that Santa isn't real [he is!]

Like surfing in a pool.

In short, it is a life unfulfilled. Go with 4x4.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That should be the motto right there...

Because anything less, is just, well... unfulfilling!

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's like going to you in-laws, and not wanting to die.

It's like going to an amusement park, and not paying for parking or admission....oh wait...PA has one of those parks. And it kicks ass BTW. Called Knoebel's, you should get one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
bobbi said:
okay I'm reaching out for a little advice here, and hoping to avoid too much criticism. I'm not a "soccer mom" nor a "cheerleader". I am, however, a woman who's looking for a SUV with great design and the reliability that Toyota can provide and have fallen in love with the FJ. That being said, will I ever go off roading? Hmmmm...I've actually been thinking about it a lot lately but the likelihood is low. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should opt for a 4x2 and what a limited slip differential brings to the table that other run of the mill autos lack. Genuine advice is greatly appreciated and if you're thinking of not so pleasant things to say, just remember that I may be that person ahead of you on the dealer's list who may be passing on the "4x4" of your dreams.

Welcome bobbi. :D
A 4x2 will be just fine for you. I have taken 4x2's off-road many times.
Most 4x4s are used in the wrong situation anyway (ice, heavy rain)

What part of the country do you live in ?!? That might be a key factor..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts