Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my question to all you professional mechanics out there. I have a 2007 and have added a K+N filter kit, shorty headers, and cat back exhaust. In my older vehicles freeing up the airflow usually made a noticeable difference but I don't seem to be noticing it on my FJ. Is this engine just to strictly controlled by the computer? Not sure what to do but I was hoping that if you feel it is a computer issue you may be able to recommend a performance chip that actually works or maybe a plug and play unit that hooks up to the ecu. Thanks in advance for any advise!!!

Any other performance upgrade tips are also welcome...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Upgrading the headers to long tubes would be a good start. (unless you in California) URD has a good way to tune the ECU. Either a MAF cali or the Map2ecu are good ways to tune. I would say get a APR X1 but they are in production right now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
These vehicles have four catalytic converters on them. Removing the two trailing converters would probably help increase exhaust flow.

My friend owns a performance shop down here in Houston, TX ( Secret Services Auto | 713.SSA.RACE ). He has told me he can re-tune the factory ECU for toyota's. This would probably void the warranty so I have not went this route. I would be interested in what kind of power gains he can make.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input I have received so far, I will shop around for a tuning shop in my area, I live in south east Washington state.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked primarily at the unichip since you are supposed to be able to tell them what mods you have done and they will program it accordingly. I simply have a hard time thinking that any of the $50 chips will be effective or safe for the vehicle. But I am open to any information, and if anyone has seen legitimate gains from the unichip or others.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have the UniChip for over 18 months now.

Last year Mustang Dyno results are;

216.8 RWHP at 5500 rpm
252.6 ft*lb torque at 3750 rpm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts