Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm joining the FJ club and will be taking delivery of my new 2014 next week. Is there a "known" list of best bang for the buck mods to start with?

I'm coming from a 300C and it's pretty much a given to start with a CAI and Predator tuner before you do anything else so I figure there must be a similar starting point recommendation for the FJ.

TIA

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm joining the FJ club and will be taking delivery of my new 2014 next week. Is there a "known" list of best bang for the buck mods to start with?

I'm coming from a 300C and it's pretty much a given to start with a CAI and Predator tuner before you do anything else so I figure there must be a similar starting point recommendation for the FJ.

TIA

Jason
It all depends on what you intend to do with it. Whether it be rock crawling, dune racing, street comfort, or mudding. There is always a route to go. A supercharger is not an option forthe newer FJ's yet so you can rule that out lol.

·
Registered
353 Posts

TIA

Jason
Welcome... I have noticed a nice increase in performance by adding the following to my 2014... 1) K&N High Flow drop in air filter 2) Dirty Deeds Industries Custom Exhaust 3) AIRAID throttle body booster

The stock air intake is already very similar to a CAI, and the drop in filter was a much less expensive way to get the same result... The exhaust system from DDI has made the biggest difference in performance, IMO and the exhaust sounds fan-frickin-tastic, which is a plus!! I am still on the fence about weather or not the throttle body booster is actually doing anything for me... Luckily it was a very inexpensive part, so I'm not worried about it... I will be waiting for a tuner for the 2014 to come out, I bet it is still a couple years away tho...

·
Registered
295 Posts
the only reason i got my fj was the offroad worthyness and the trd supercharger

IIRC there wasnt any suvs on the market that had 300+ hp that retained the factory warrenty at least none that i could find for under 30 grand

hopefully trd will release the supercharger soon for you 2010+ guys

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main goal at this point is "easy" bolt on horsepower. Like I said, with my 300C it's known that you need to start with a CAI, tuner, and then a cat back system so I assumed it would be similar for the FJ. Sounds like a tuner isn't yet available though? I'll definitely look into the CAI and exhaust that was mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I have not been able to determine if there is any real advantage to the CAI from reading forum posts BUT those that have installed the AIRAID branded CAI seem to be very pleased. Do a search. There is a lot on the forum about them.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I have everything you mention, using the seat Dyno there really is not bang for your buck performance improvement for the FJ where after install you will really notice the difference enough to justify the hundreds spent, the only exception would be the Supercharger. Only available for pre 2010 models..... So far.
There is a small HP improvement, maybe 10-20 HP at the crank with the addition of a CAI and changes to the exhaust but they are not cheap, honestly your sound levels go up more than anything.
If you have the extra money maybe worth while, if the budget is tight and there is other things on your wish list I would move down the list.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wajohn couldn't agree with you more ....my recommendation would be to save up for the supercharger. ...it should be released soon

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well TRD has yet to approve and release their CAI for the 2014, even tho the 2013 is identical to the 2014... We are already almost half way through the year, so probably won't see that until next year... So I would guess it would still be a few years for the supercharger, if it ever gets approved for the 2010+ models... We will also probably have to wait until 2016 before we see any good custom tune/programer kits for the 2014... Just the way of the world...

If you are on a budget, the K&N drop in filter, put inside of the stock air intake box gets surprisingly good results... The stock air intake system is already very similar to a CAI, except for the very restrictive stock air filter... I got the filter for a fraction of the price of an aftermarket CAI set up... Which left me with more $$$ for the best exhaust system out there... :big thumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree performance increase is minimal- I have a 2013 with TRD CAI and TRD Exhaust I don't feel much and the noise is kinda cheap sounding once supercharger comes out I'll try custom Longtubes by then maybe I'll find a tuner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts