Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know turning off chimes has been covered several times but I haven't seen this mod yet so I thought I'd post it.

You can permanently turn off any or all of the annoying chimes (key warning, driver's seat belt, passenger seat belt) by cutting the wires going to the combination meter and never again have to worry about following the manual's procedure every time you disconnect the battery. This is very easy and only takes about 10 minutes total.

1. Remove the bin on top of the dash behind the instrument panel. Remove the two screws and pull up at the rear of the bin. There are three clips that hold the back of the bin (windshield side) down. If you grab the bin cover at the rear where it hinges to the bin and pull up with some force, it will come up. The bin will slide toward the windshield a little and then can be removed.

2. Find and disconnect the instrument panel connector on the left side of the meter assembly. (Blue arrow in picture 1)

3. Unwrap the electrical tape for about three inches to expose the wires. In picture 2, the blue arrow points to the three wires on the connector and the red arrow points to where I did the cutting. This photo was taken after I was finished.

4. Cut the three wires shown in pictures 3 and 4. In picture 3, the left wire is blue w/ red stripe and is the input to the beeper from the passenger seat belt. The center wire is violet w/ green stripe and is the input for the key warning switch. (Causes the chime when the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open.) And the right, green w/ yellow stripe wire, is the driver's seatbelt warning chime wire.

5. Tape the ends of the wires and put them back into the harness. Re-tape the harness like it was before and plug it in.

6. The dash bin has two hooks at the front that need to put into their slots and then you can push the rear clips back into place. Replace the two screws and you're done.

Works well, tastes great, and less filling. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
84 Posts
I have a problem cutting wires, so i have a question for ya, i like the disabling of the door chime, is there any way a switch could be added to that and say mounted in the little box above the steering wheel. I already disabled the seat belt beeps with the hack but the door chime i want to keep in case someone else is driving and only want to turn it off when lets say i am at a party and blasting music with only the key turned to ACC?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a problem cutting wires, so i have a question for ya, i like the disabling of the door chime, is there any way a switch could be added to that and say mounted in the little box above the steering wheel. I already disabled the seat belt beeps with the hack but the door chime i want to keep in case someone else is driving and only want to turn it off when lets say i am at a party and blasting music with only the key turned to ACC?
Absolutely, but you will still need to cut the violet w/ green stripe wire and connect a short piece of new wire (18ga should work) to each end. Cut a hole in the bin where you want the switch and install the switch. Attach connectors that mate with the switch terminals to your new wires and plug them into the switch. Put the bin back in and you're done.

Bugs

Reactions: PoppaDom

·
Registered
158 Posts
your name says it all.....some of that stuff really bugged me.....geez whats next ...they need to install a botton....do you like this yes or no ..push here

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.....some of that stuff really bugged me.....
If you mean the chimes and the protect yourself from yourself systems, they bug the heck out of me too! I'll take care of myself, thank you.

Take care,
Bugs

Reactions: BMThiker

·
Registered
4 Posts
got a little bored so decided to take care of the seatbelt chimes and looked around the internet for some guidance. Bugs, thanks. I just went down to the garage and did the whole job in about 10 minutes. Great instructions and pics.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
this will be my first mod..

those dang chimes are driving me nuts !!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're all welcome! I haven't heard a chime in so long now that I forgot what they sound like...which is nice.

Bugs

Reactions: 1911

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Thanks Bugs. I didn't realize how "bugged" I was until I cut 3 little wires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
EXCELLENT! my work is complete. 8 minutes and two pair of glasses, I felt like I was cutting the wires to a nuke! But all is well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i had the damnest time getting the compartment out of the hole.. it was in there pretty tight..
don't use a screwdriver..!!!!
got a little scratch on the inside of the storage compartment..
just keep pushing toward the windshield and pulling up.. no where to grab.!!

wires..

glad you had pix.. got them cut.. i love the sound of silence..

thanks a million

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info. I also hated cutting wires, but the pictures made it very clear what ones to cut. Although, I never did see a green stripe on the violet wire, I could tell which wire it was.

I do feel a bit guilty, like I did something wrong. To help with the guilt, I will put a switch on it so if someone else is driving I can turn it back on.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I disabled mine. Never looked back.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts