Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those who disabled chimes with a 2011 have you noticed that when you open driver door or remote lock with only using only driver door that auto light doesn't turn on and remote lock features no longer work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bugs, I'm adding this for future searches because this is a GREAT post and took me more time to remove the tray than to implement the mod.
Again, Thank you so much. I'm a grown man. I don't need these chimes in my 1950 Dodge, my '67 Camaro or my '75 Bronco, I sure as hell don't need them in my '08 FJ.
Searchers: If you see this post because 'disable beeper' 'disable chime' 'disable chimes' is what you were searching for, go to the start of this thread and pay homage to Bugs for his help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just did it on my Sun Fusion 07. I did the remove the pin option and then heat shrunk them and zip tied them to the harness. Works like a charm. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Done! Thank you. I originally did the "key on/off, press ODO, step on brake, open rear window, eat a doughnut etc method, but having to do that again was too much!!! All good now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: Permanently disable all chimes - Switch Off Passenger Seat Belt Chime, 10' & up

My dealer refused to disable the chimes.

They had no problem setting the remote for one push unlocks all; but, stated that Toyota Corporate would not allow them to disable my chimes.

No point in arguing with them; but, they are not the final word.:king:

To perform this mod by cutting the wires on a 2010 and Up model Follow the directions in this post to get to the connector on the instrument cluster.

I consulted the electrical manual for my 2011 and determined which wires going to the combination meter needed to be cut to disable the;

*Passenger side seatbelt chime and lighted dash icon - SEE EDIT BELOW
*Driver side seatbelt chime and lighted dash icon
*Keyswitch chime

EDIT; DO NOT cut the Green wire with the Gray stripe - There is no one wire that can be cut to silence the passenger seat belt chime. The circuit is integrated through the Occupant Classification ECU and triggered by speed sensor. Arg!

Finish up by taping the ends of the individual wires and then taping the bundle back up before plugging the connector back into the instrument cluster.

The chime is dead and I can play my stereo with the ignition key in Acc with the doors open.

No seat belt chime or seat belt icon at least for the drivers side.:cheers:
I disagree:
- I have the techstream tool myself and the special cable but that is not a final solution as you never know what happens if you have to disconnect the battery etc.
- Do not cut! It's very easy to extract the pin from the connector as explained in an earlier post; heat-shrink that and if you ever want to go back just reinsert it into the connector
I wish I'd thought of that. The wires really should be reconnected if the rig is sold to avoid giving someone a reason to hold you responsible for the them not wearing their seatbelt.

Looks like I'll be solering in a few short lengths of wire to restore these circuits if the dreaded day should ever come when I must part with the FJ.
While searching the owners manual on this issue I discovered that the speed sensor for the passenger side seat belt chime can be disabled through programming. The Dealer took care of it as part of my 25K service.

The dash icon and driver's side chime had been disabled earlier. See the quoted threads above for details and cautions about this procedure.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I just did this on my 2013. Works great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see that no one has posted in this thread in a few weeks but....this was my first fix.......

As a long time Cop let me tell you the way we do it.....its really simple and you can undo it in 2 seconds.

(I searched and didn't see this suggestion anywhere).

When your new to Police work at least in the city you don't get a take home car (a car only you drive). As a matter of fact you drive whatever busted old fleet car you get. Most of the time a differant car every night.

So disabling all of them would be crazy and you would get in trouble for cutting wires in all the cities cars. But riding around all night with the seat belt chime yelling at you would be unacceptable.

So...you go to the city garage...you find a crashed police cruiser (very easy because cops crash into everything).

You get out your trusty pocket knife...and you cut out a buckle from the crashed car.

Plug that sucker in and......all the seatbelt dinging stops.

Next shift you pull that buckle out of your gear bag and plug it in to the next POS you will be driving and you never worry about it again.

Because the FJ has the most common buckle on the road it is really easy to locate. Heck I checked ebay and they sell them for 3 dollars or 20 if you want hello kitty on the buckle.

Also this solves the problem of your wife yelling at you for turning the chime off.....because she thinks you should wear the seatbelt.

Also with the newer cars the "black box" thinks you had the belt on...not that you would lie to the police when you crash........

If you have driving age kids you can pull out the buckle so they are buzzed into putting on the belt.

Not really "permanently off but off until you want it to be on".

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone with a 2013 (just got mine yesterday). What I did was the following:

1. Installed a spst switch between the piezo buzzer and ground, ran it to the bottom panel under the steering wheel. Now I can simply flip a switch to go between hearing the chimes and zero chimes. :) (To do this you have to desolder the buzzer from the board, trim the legs on the buzzer so it will fit back in flat after you solder the new wires to the board/switch/legs).

2. Removed the piezo buzzer in the fender well for the stupid alarm BEEP. The lights already flash, why in the hell do we need beeps!!!

3. Turn key on/off then hit valet button 3 times. Now the ridiculous horn sound is gone when the alarm is armed (doors locked etc). Again, I don't need a horn to sound when I lock/unluck my doors (LET ALONE A HORN AND A BUZZER!), the lights already flash and the locks engaging are actually LOUD enough.

These are options on more high end cars (my Infiniti had them), but an hour of reading and an hour of tinkering and they are now solved! Thanks to everyone for their posts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, here's a photo of the connector from my 2014 FJ. (as noted by a previous poster, the wire for the passenger seat belt as reported by the OP is not present)

I only wanted to kill the "key in ignition with drivers side door open" warning chime (purple/green wire in position 8 from upper left) -- I disabled the seat belt warning chimes by programming the appropriate ECU using Techstream.

This mod is great! and took me all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PERFECT!!!

Did it on my 2013 FJ and it works great. I pulled the pin for door bell and drivers seat, left the passenger's in there. Also put some electrical tape at both loose terminals.

If you are concerned on how difficult it is to do this, do not worry.

Broke my right arm on Monday, put a Ti plate and 6 screws on my forearm on Thursday and did this mod WITH ONE HAND this Saturday.

Im not bragging but I am really proud of myself. Not having my right arm for regular tasks for a couple days already played with my self-confidence a little.

Cheers!!!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
PERFECT!!!

Did it on my 2013 FJ and it works great. I pulled the pin for door bell and drivers seat, left the passenger's in there. Also put some electrical tape at both loose terminals.

If you are concerned on how difficult it is to do this, do not worry.

Broke my right arm on Monday, put a Ti plate and 6 screws on my forearm on Thursday and did this mod WITH ONE HAND this Saturday.

Im not bragging but I am really proud of myself. Not having my right arm for regular tasks for a couple days already played with my self-confidence a little.

Cheers!!!

:cheers:

Good work!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

161 - 180 of 244 Posts