Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been researching posts and came across Spot... was wondering if anyone who has had one would care to review it? Ive seen some reviews online but they weren’t to conclusive. Had a few reviews other locations say they were not to happy with the support? I am looking for a device for a friend
Thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm confident with InReach. It has always worked while playing and am comfortable using it Emailing and texting anytime anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More in need of a device that is in line with rescue. The gentleman who needs it is an avid outdoorsman also with some medical
concerns

·
Registered
689 Posts
InReach does the rescue deal just like he is looking for and more. It does way more than a Spot. You can also communicate between InReaches without need of internet. Handy if you get separated. Links if you want to your phone contacts if you want to email everyone you know with your problem and send messages back and forth with the rescue team sent out to get you.

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts
Depending on actual needs, there are a lot of options for satellite comms.
Consider the following:

- Functionality required
- Global coverage
- Frequency of use
- Budget

As an example, compare the global coverage for Spot and the Iridium network - there's quite a difference. For regional coverage in Middle East & Asia, then something based on Thuraya might be appropriate.
If you require an SOS button as well as voice comms, then something like this https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-extreme/ might be more appropriate than a text only or predefined message device.
There are things like this Thuraya SatSleeve+ | Thuraya that adds satellite functionality to a smartphone.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend stays primarily in thr southwestern U. S. He finds himself four wheeling in various hills in mining sites looking for gold. His wife is concerned that he he may have a medical event and need help. When I spoke with him yesterday he said he was not into medical alert because of poor coverage. Im pretty sure the cost of Iridium monthly might be too much for him but if thats the way it has to be...

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanks all for your responses! Think I'd want the option of 2 way communication; otherwise, wouldn't know if alert got out and given options much better for location of position. Have both a Garmin and Magellan; and for some reason the Garmin has given me some troubles and have updated it, whenever update is available. Misdirections that have happened with Garmin, haven't happened with Magellan?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm confident with InReach. It has always worked while playing and am comfortable using it Emailing and texting anytime anywhere.

I printed up some info for my friend on the INRech seems the way to go. seems the most versatile and the subscription cost are more reasonable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts