Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in motel right now ( love the railroad ) so no running the saw just yet...

If you don't know who this guy is, you are missing out if you are into car audio. Check his site :: Peter W. Kulicki Web Site :: and you will get a grasp of this guys passion for acoustics and subwoofer performance...

I have my two alpine 12" type-R subs , and the same Alpine MRD-M1005 amp, so essentially I am just giving the subs a better home so that they can achieve their true potential. This box is specifically designed as a SQL box, meaning sound quality, but LOUD.. !!! I had to take several measurements for him and and we talked back and forth thru email for a few weeks to get the box to perform just the way I want it to. I have the full blue prints, but the measurements are what I paid for ... So I will show the blueprints, and when I get to building the box I will update this thread with the work and a review.

·
Banned
338 Posts
That is almost how my box is right now, my box wasn't custom made though it is an MTX...but it has a vent so that flow goes around a bunch of curves and walls then vents out, sounds fantastic, but won't be as boomy as a full port box or a band pass. It's the sweet-spot between Sealed and Ported.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
if he really knows what he is doing, he will need to know the distance from the rear to the front (give him the headrest and the windshield measurements).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I gave him those plus some others... Trust me, people on Steve meade forums and Realm of excursion , car audio.com, DIY mobile audio.com, all sorts of stereo forums either love this guy, or hate him cause they couldn't beat him when competing against him. Mind you, this is NOT a burp box. I was , as mentioned earlier , looking for something a bit different.

But seriously though, pete has designed hundreds of boxes and I have only read of one instance where the guy was not happy with the performance of it after building. And he did not put the box into the vehicle it was designed for, and used different woofers than he told pete he would be using. Pete Kulicki is one of the few that have a real infinite knowledge of subwoofer and cabin acoustics.

I am not trying to sound like I am blowin his .... well, whatever, but some people are kinda turned off by dropping cash for blue prints. Dig around on his forum, read some of his articles and you will see what I am saying. Dude knows his craft very well.

watch this video. It is all about the right box...

YouTube - Small Surprise

·
Banned
338 Posts
I gave him those plus some others... Trust me, people on Steve meade forums and Realm of excursion , car audio.com, DIY mobile audio.com, all sorts of stereo forums either love this guy, or hate him cause they couldn't beat him when competing against him. Mind you, this is NOT a burp box. I was , as mentioned earlier , looking for something a bit different.

But seriously though, pete has designed hundreds of boxes and I have only read of one instance where the guy was not happy with the performance of it after building. And he did not put the box into the vehicle it was designed for, and used different woofers than he told pete he would be using. Pete Kulicki is one of the few that have a real infinite knowledge of subwoofer and cabin acoustics.

I am not trying to sound like I am blowin his .... well, whatever, but some people are kinda turned off by dropping cash for blue prints. Dig around on his forum, read some of his articles and you will see what I am saying. Dude knows his craft very well.

watch this video. It is all about the right box...

YouTube - Small Surprise
But look at how BIG the box is for that 3" speaker. Can you imagine how big one of HIS would have to be to have that EXACT same effect on two 12" subwoofers? Btw why are you doing this with the Type-r's...regardless of the box the sub STILL matters, and Type-R's just aren't that good.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm, wow. Don't even know where to begin. First off that box is relatively small, considering it is a 3" speaker. Secondly, he is using a test tone generator, no amplification what so ever. I will say this much about my box, it fits into rear cargo area, with lots of room in front of and behind it for "cargo" space. Probably around 5-6 inches on one side and 6-8 inches on the other side. And it fits well between the wheel wells, and is only 12.5 inches tall. The size a box is is only limited by a few factors, : What you want to the box to do performance wise, how much space you are willing to consume in the vehicle, and how many subs, and what kinds of subs you are going to be installing. We went over rather or not I wanted the box to fire up, back, or a mixture of the two like subs up port back, or vice versa. I can assure you it is very easy to go and buy a pre fab box from a shop that just has a port and two holes cut into like I have now. You can buy a box like you have that was designed to work with a certain set of subs and is loaded with them just as easy. But where you are missing the point is in regards to how a enclosure will respond once you put it into your vehicle. That box you have will sound incredibly different if you put it into the back of something like a suburban, and different again if you put it into a Rav 4, and again different if you put it into the trunk of a camry or civic. Aside from that, look at my vehicle, does it look like I am concerned with hauling anything in the back of it 99.9% of the time? Nope, I haul nothing but speakers. End of Story. If I had the desire to do it , I would wall it off behind the back seats, but reality dictates that , as much as I love bass, this is not my only passion and what I spend money on, and, there are far better vehicles that respond better to a wall than a FJ cruiser. If I wanted to go that insane with it , I would have bought a astro van. So as far as the size of a box goes, Please, by all means , build a box for a 3" inch speaker and get a test tone generator and do what he did in the video. Make your car rattle with it.

I am doing this with the type-R subs because I have them. I am doing this with the type-R subs, because rather you think they are good or not, they perform really well and at the time I purchased them, I got a wholesale price that I could not pass up. I would not buy MTX , cause I just don't think they are that good. And yes the sub still matters, so does the amp, the power wire , the RCAs , the headunit, and on and on ... To achieve the best performance out of a sub, regardless of the brand , I have learned that the right box can make even the cheapest sub sound incredible.

As far as MTX and alpine goes, I don't really think it is worth humoring such a argument. It will only lead to a mine is bigger than yours discussion, and will get nowhere. I bought Alpine, you bought MTX. ( which, by the way used to be only available at pawn shops and flea markets, until circuit city got ahold of them ) I used second skin, you bought dynamatt or raam matt or whatever. This is a consumer market and competition and personal taste dictates your choices.

Aside from that, I just wanna build myself a new box.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and BTW, why are you talkin about box size with that footlocker of a box you got now, and you are in another thread talking about gettin a even bigger box. don't get you, man:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Is the box designed stricty for certain (name brand) speaker specs and is it designed for the air space inside the FJ?
I'm not the expert for sure, but I have found that the same box just don't sound good in diffrent size vehicles.
Too bad the stock sub wasn't designed by Peter...
Good luck on the project!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
That video cracked me up! Makes me want to rock a pair of 4"s...except they might destroy the FJ :) Seriously, though...had no idea something like that would be possible with a teeny tiny speaker like that. Very cool.

Trainman...you get the fun of building your own box...but the comfort in knowing that it will be exactly right. I think that's great! I'm sure the cost of the plans will be well worth it. Enjoy!

·
Banned
338 Posts
and BTW, why are you talkin about box size with that footlocker of a box you got now, and you are in another thread talking about gettin a even bigger box. don't get you, man:)
....do you not realize that it is a big box for a 3" speaker...? You you ever seen a 6x9 or 8" sub box? They are BARELY as big as that. I have two huge 12" subwoofers...what do you expect me to do? I can't exactly buy Nazars box, it looks good, but lacks the air space I need. The box he put the 3" in could fit three 6.5"...thats what I'm saying, it's a BIG BOX for ONE tiny speaker, that is why it's so BOOMY, don't get all defensive, I'm looking at what YOU showed me and saying, damn, well if makes that for two twelves it's going to be huge. Here's an example of a guy who custom made his own box for his Type-R after trying out many deminsions and setups, and this, single 12" box, was the cleanest sounding, and had the deepest bass.YouTube - 12 Inch Alpine R Type Subwoofer, Custom Box Build

Understand what I'm getting at yet? Look at Briman's 10" box, it's LONGER than a triple 10" box from Sonic Electronics (given those boxs are crap anyway)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
dont listen to the forums. i used to be on one of them. and i looked at the others quite frequently. they are garbage and have little knowledge on the topic. all of these guys that build boxes, TCAB and the others, pretty much use a program called bass box pro. you think these guys know so much... they know how to punch specs into a computer.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This folded horn design is a very effecient way to design a speaker enclosure. You get maximum output or SPL from a relativity small volume of space. This is what you find in a Pro PA sub woofer cabinet. "But" they generaly fire the subs into the box and not port the back wave only the front wave as a folded horn design, making is more of a band pass design. This will make for high SPL at a given frequency however it's roll off points are very fast. Not a real ideal situation for a car. Considering most people want it to thump at like 20-50Hz. This cabinet design is not ment to play in the very low sub frequiencies. I would pass on this for my truck as it is not condusive to this aplication. Plus the weight is a draw back as well. Oh well, what do I know. I have only been doing audio design, installs and sales for the past 18 years. I really have no opinion here. Because I have never read an audio magazine. Therefor, I am not an expert like many otheres here that have a time to read a magizine.:wave:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
This folded horn design is a very effecient way to design a speaker enclosure. You get maximum output or SPL from a relativity small volume of space. This is what you find in a Pro PA sub woofer cabinet. "But" they generaly fire the subs into the box and not port the back wave only the front wave as a folded horn design, making is more of a band pass design. This will make for high SPL at a given frequency however it's roll off points are very fast. Not a real ideal situation for a car. Considering most people want it to thump at like 20-50Hz. This cabinet design is not ment to play in the very low sub frequiencies. I would pass on this for my truck as it is not condusive to this aplication. Plus the weight is a draw back as well. Oh well, what do I know. I have only been doing audio design, installs and sales for the past 18 years. I really have no opinion here. Because I have never read an audio magazine. Therefor, I am not an expert like many otheres here that have a time to read a magizine.:wave:
these are way more suited for a larger environment. not really the optimal enclosure for a vehicle. maybe a party bus though.... i would much rather have a well designed ported enclosure. but then again i like a lot of cone area, upper bass, and a lot of energy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Is the box designed stricty for certain (name brand) speaker specs and is it designed for the air space inside the FJ?
I'm not the expert for sure, but I have found that the same box just don't sound good in diffrent size vehicles.
Too bad the stock sub wasn't designed by Peter...
Good luck on the project!
yeah, It is designed for the cab size of the FJ and to be used specifically with my brand and size subwoofer.

.... it's a BIG BOX for ONE tiny speaker, that is why it's so BOOMY, don't get all defensive, I'm looking at what YOU showed me and saying, damn, well if makes that for two twelves it's going to be huge. Here's an example of a guy who custom made his own box for his Type-R after trying out many deminsions and setups, and this, single 12" box, was the cleanest sounding, and had the deepest bass.
Understand what I'm getting at yet? Look at Briman's 10" box, it's LONGER than a triple 10" box from Sonic Electronics (given those boxs are crap anyway)
Yes it's a big box for a 3" speaker. But then again, it's a 3"inch speaker, and what he is trying to show is that if built properly, you can make a enclosure for a small 3" speaker sound like something more, If that is what you are trying to do... And your "massive" 12 inch speakers are the same "massive" 12 inches that my alpine 's are. The box is roughly ( not exact measurement here ) 40" w X 24" d X 13" tall. not exactly Massive.

dont listen to the forums. i used to be on one of them. and i looked at the others quite frequently. they are garbage and have little knowledge on the topic. all of these guys that build boxes, TCAB and the others, pretty much use a program called bass box pro. you think these guys know so much... they know how to punch specs into a computer.
He doesn't use bass box pro. He has a extensive list of the various CAD programs he uses, bass box pro isn't one of them. some guys one the Meade forum use it, and it just doesn't program the same Pete does his designs.

All I can say is I will make a video of what I have in there now, and another video after the new box goes in . should be finished by the weekend or the beginning of next week...

·
Banned
338 Posts
Yes it's a big box for a 3" speaker. But then again, it's a 3"inch speaker, and what he is trying to show is that if built properly, you can make a enclosure for a small 3" speaker sound like something more, If that is what you are trying to do... And your "massive" 12 inch speakers are the same "massive" 12 inches that my alpine 's are. The box is roughly ( not exact measurement here ) 40" w X 24" d X 13" tall. not exactly Massive.
K...I don't believe you understood what I meant by MASSIVE 12".... I'm not talking about the sub...I'm talking about the friggin' box. For instance, if he built a box on the same design as that 3" box but for a 12" the box would be HUGE...do you get what I'm saying? Copy the 3" box deminsons big amplifiy the build up to that of requirements of a 12" sub...it gets big, the box he is building you is apparently nothing like the on that 3" is in. My upgraded 7500's and the new boxes dimensions are 15.75" x 32" x 18.75" BD. I believe it will be a better box than what I have because each subwoofer will have their own big chamber, and each chamber is vented.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't let these guys get you down trainman, I have had Pete design 3 different boxes for me and all of them kicked ass! I know people just don't understand what he does or how he does it until they hear what he does. I had many people tell me the ABC box he designed for me would never work, and sound like crap, blah blah blah, until I built the damn thing. It was designed using one 12" RE SE sub and it kicked ass!! The sound was low and loud, but still had great SQ, and all of that with only 400 watts rms! I loved that freakin box and would love to find a use for it today. Keep your head up man, build the box and let the nay sayers take a listen. The will be surprised!!:cheers:

Here are a few pics of the mentioned ABC box I had in a 1997 4Runner:

·
Registered
293 Posts
K...I don't believe you understood what I meant by MASSIVE 12".... I'm not talking about the sub...I'm talking about the friggin' box. For instance, if he built a box on the same design as that 3" box but for a 12" the box would be HUGE...do you get what I'm saying? Copy the 3" box deminsons big amplifiy the build up to that of requirements of a 12" sub...it gets big, the box he is building you is apparently nothing like the on that 3" is in. My upgraded 7500's and the new boxes dimensions are 15.75" x 32" x 18.75" BD. I believe it will be a better box than what I have because each subwoofer will have their own big chamber, and each chamber is vented.
Every speaker has different characteristics, and each box is designed for a different reason. Not all boxes he designs are going to be huge, it all depends on the application. That particular box he designed to make a point, that you don't need a butload of power to get high SPL numbers. When he designs a box he designs it around the speaker characteristics, the vehicle it is going in, and most importantly what kind of sound you are after. How many MTX boxes are designed like that?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Don't let these guys get you down trainman, I have had Pete design 3 different boxes for me and all of them kicked ass! I know people just don't understand what he does or how he does it until they hear what he does. I had many people tell me the ABC box he designed for me would never work, and sound like crap, blah blah blah, until I built the damn thing. It was designed using one 12" RE SE sub and it kicked ass!! The sound was low and loud, but still had great SQ, and all of that with only 400 watts rms! I loved that freakin box and would love to find a use for it today. Keep your head up man, build the box and let the nay sayers take a listen. The will be surprised!!:cheers:

Here are a few pics of the mentioned ABC box I had in a 1997 4Runner:

bring it....

this box isnt half done. it still need all the panels to fit it to the car, which are going to be in vinyl to match the headrests... and the port screen and stuff.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts