Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have the FJ Cruiser 2010 and couple of months back I have fixed the valve cover in the engine (the car was consuming too much oil).

Anyhow, things got back to normal after that. But, I notice that there is no fuel efficiency on the highway and it consume just like normal everyday driving. What I mean is that for a full tank it roughly gives me 400 km. That's 100 km for a quarter with normal driving, on the highway it used to be 150 km for a quarter that when the speed is about 120 km/s or 140 km/s.

But so far this is not happening, I assume that the car ECU need to be reset, so I am thinking for disconnecting the battery for sometime and then reattach it.

Note: I don't think this is related but I take special care for my car, and every oil had been changed and every filter had been replaced.

Please advice me.

Thanks,

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Hello. I have the FJ Cruiser 2010 and couple of months back I have fixed the valve cover in the engine (the car was consuming too much oil).

Anyhow, things got back to normal after that. But, I notice that there is no fuel efficiency on the highway and it consume just like normal everyday driving. What I mean is that for a full tank it roughly gives me 400 km. That's 100 km for a quarter with normal driving, on the highway it used to be 150 km for a quarter that when the speed is about 120 km/s or 140 km/s.

But so far this is not happening, I assume that the car ECU need to be reset, so I am thinking for disconnecting the battery for sometime and then reattach it.

Note: I don't think this is related but I take special care for my car, and every oil had been changed and every filter had been replaced.

Please advice me.

Thanks,
Have you changed anything else on the vehicle?
Roof rack, Tires, skid plates, suspension? These can all have a negative impact on fuel consumption.
The FJ will never give you the fuel economy that you claim at 140km/h (unless you're drafting another vehicle)... It's fairly efficient upto about 110, but then it develops a pretty serious drink problem. At 140, it's moving a lot of air and if you're going uphill like from Dubai to Al Ain, it's going to be draining that tank pretty quickly.
The stock fuel tank is 80L, but the light comes on with about 15 litres left in the tank.
65/4 gives you 16.25 which if that lasts you 100km is about right for mixed urban driving (16.25l/100km)
to attain 600km out of the same amount of fuel, gives you 9.23l/100km, which is possible, but not at 140km/h unless it's downhill with a tail wind.

I've done the Dubai-Muscat run several times, and I'll normally use 140L for that (cruising at 140 along the Muscat Expressway) over a distance of 950 km - that gives me an economy of 14.74L/100km

My FJ is a manual transmission with 33" tires, a 2" lift, and a roof rack, and I don't carry a lot of weight in the car.

For the US guys:
16.25L/100km = 14.47 MPG
9.23L/100km = 25.48 MPG

Convert here

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is impressive to see several post on the subject and consumption from one Fj to another differs strangely enough.
I remember at the beginning that I had my FJ with 3 "high, 285/75/16 and a Demello front bumper I could drive 250 miles on the road with the light on and 220 in the city, with time I added a winch and a rear bumper, today full to the light I'm no more than 130 miles in the city, losing 90 miles seems incredibly insignificant.
I do not know where this problem might come from

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
"I do not know where this problem might come from"

From air drag caused by bigger tires, lift, less aerodynamic bumpers, roof rack, lights and so on. Add to that any headwind.
Plus weight from large wheels/tires, especially if E rated (all cause huge increase of unsprung weight and rotational mass which plays out in stop and go driving, an increase of 20~40lbs per wheel, compared with stock).
Finally, different altitude, engine tune/supercharger/gearing, they all add up to huge differences.

Finally, one person's right foot, compared with another's, can easily create a 20% difference in fuel economy, on any car.

For a vehicle which gets such poor mileage in the first place, with such a small fuel tank (except for the lucky ducks in AUS and the middle east), these differences really jump out at everyone.

Oh, and tire pressure.

For example of how these things can add up: just going from 33psi to 40psi tire pressure, and dropping my top speed down from 80mph to 70~75, with gentle acceleration because I was traveling in caravan with another car, during a full day drip my mpg jumped from the usual 15 up to 18.

Norm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts