Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
Agreed, those are pretty stinkin' good photos, even if they are doubles of some of the gallery images.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
To get our rigs to look like the blue FJC at SEMA we're going to need:

1) about $2K for the front ARB bumper/Warn winch

2) about$1.3K for the front Donahoe Racing lift - ~2 inches

3) not sure about the rear lift. Donahoe told me they installed their prototype rear shocks. Someone else in this forum also said there were OME Prado rear coils installed. Let's just say the same as the front, ~$1.3K.

4) about $1.3K for five 285/17R17 BFG T/A tires

5) about $1.3K for five American Racing Mohave wheels

6) plus $ for any of those other things I haven't mentioned - gas tank, front locker, air - plus anything I've forgotten.

So to get that exact same look, if I've done the math correctly(I'm not a bean counter), we're going to have to spend:

$2K+$1.3K$1.3K+$1.3K+$1.3K+?? = at least $7.2K


This is the first time I've actually added it up. I guess I'm going to start with just the front ARB bumper and winch, with maybe a dual battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Pancho said:
To get our rigs to look like the blue FJC at SEMA we're going to need:

1) about $2K for the front ARB bumper/Warn winch

2) about$1.3K for the front Donahoe Racing lift - ~2 inches

3) not sure about the rear lift. Donahoe told me they installed their prototype rear shocks. Someone else in this forum also said there were OME Prado rear coils installed. Let's just say the same as the front, ~$1.3K.

4) about $1.3K for five 285/17R17 BFG T/A tires

5) about $1.3K for five American Racing Mohave wheels

6) plus $ for any of those other things I haven't mentioned - gas tank, front locker, air - plus anything I've forgotten.

So to get that exact same look, if I've done the math correctly(I'm not a bean counter), we're going to have to spend:

$2K+$1.3K$1.3K+$1.3K+$1.3K+?? = at least $7.2K


This is the first time I've actually added it up. I guess I'm going to start with just the front ARB bumper and winch, with maybe a dual battery.
I think alot of those quote's are inflated, some by a large margin. I say you could get all that for half or about $3500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
I think alot of those quote's are inflated, some by a large margin. I say you could get all that for half or about $3500.
ToyBox doesn't like my numbers. OK so maybe I rounded up a little but there is absolutely no way you're going to get you're smurf blue FJC SEMA-equiped for $3500, excluding five finger discounts of course.

Hey it's the holiday season! So let's do a little online shopping at 4WheelParts.

Mohave Beadlock wheels: $167 each x 5 = $835

BFG T/A LT285/ tires: $197 each x 5 = $985

ARB Winch-capable bull bar(assume similar price to 4Runner/Tacoma): ~$780

XD9000 Warn Winch: $790

Subtotal so far without including tax or any installation/mounting fees = $3390

We've already nearly exceeded ToyBox's budget and we haven't even paid for his lift yet. Maybe you can run the larger BFGs with the stock suspension, maybe not. Try it and let us know. If you do want it lifted, Donahoe Racing Coilovers, just for the front, are the same product as currently used for new 4Runners and they run ~$995/pair plus installation, plus front end alignment. I'm tired of shopping so I'll let you cost the rear lift. And don't forget your high lift jack, shovel, axe, jerry can, portable rear winch, winch accessories, front locker and air, and the Powertank.

So maybe a more accurate $uestimate is somewhere between your low ball and my inflated estimate, but probably closer to mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Pancho said:
ToyBox doesn't like my numbers. OK so maybe I rounded up a little but there is absolutely no way you're going to get you're smurf blue FJC SEMA-equiped for $3500, excluding five finger discounts of course.

Hey it's the holiday season! So let's do a little online shopping at 4WheelParts.

Mohave Beadlock wheels: $167 each x 5 = $835

BFG T/A LT285/ tires: $197 each x 5 = $985

ARB Winch-capable bull bar(assume similar price to 4Runner/Tacoma): ~$780

XD9000 Warn Winch: $790

Subtotal so far without including tax or any installation/mounting fees = $3390

We've already nearly exceeded ToyBox's budget and we haven't even paid for his lift yet. Maybe you can run the larger BFGs with the stock suspension, maybe not. Try it and let us know. If you do want it lifted, Donahoe Racing Coilovers, just for the front, are the same product as currently used for new 4Runners and they run ~$995/pair plus installation, plus front end alignment. I'm tired of shopping so I'll let you cost the rear lift. And don't forget your high lift jack, shovel, axe, jerry can, portable rear winch, winch accessories, front locker and air, and the Powertank.

So maybe a more accurate $uestimate is somewhere between your low ball and my inflated estimate, but probably closer to mine.

Jeez, I didn't know this was supposed to be a pissin' match....



But in your original 7.2k you didn't have all the miscellaneous stuff so I didn't consider that stuff in my "low ball" estimate either. So doing some of the work yourself (like the lift which can be done by a DIY'er) and selecting different tires and wheels (still of the capable type though, btw are those wheels beadlocks? because otherwise they are just bling and you would be better off with the stock ones provided they can still fit the tire) I believe the total would be closer to my estimate (maybe more than my estimate but still closer).

Regardless you get what you pay for. If you want a capable truck buy it stock. If you want a super capable truck than you are going to have to fork over some cash to get it that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
The beadlocks are fake. Just bling. And you are absolutely correct about doing it yourself and going with cheaper stuff. But some of the folks said thay wanted it exactly like the one at SEMA, so that's the approach I took. Not pissing on anyone, just pointing out how much ching for the bling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
Most of the offroad rags have companies that offer deals for wheel and tire packages so you can probably save some cash by buying a package deal. We know it's going to be expensive to mod it out. I don't so much mind having to pay to play so long as I'm not getting raped by the factory price for the vehicle in the first place. I would agree that the blue one at SEMA was absolutely SICK! I loved that truck. So the question then becomes, is $7500 too much extra to pay for something that HOT?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
What are beadlocks? Advantages? Also, any plans to make that air inlet in the hood functional? I wish it served a real purpose besides looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
I believe it is a functional scoop. It has a filter in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Percy you're not handling these easy ones like you promised. Quit rebuilding your FJC on toyota.com. There's only so many options. ekool might dock your pay.

The hood scoop insert looks to be solid plastic in this photo. I guess you could remove it if you wanted to, so as to let more dust in the engine bay. Yeah that's the ticket, think of it as a dust blocker.
http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/auto-show-photos.asp?imageId=16480&galleryId=30

And bead locks keep the bead of your tire affixed to the rim when you need to deflate your tires in poor traction conditions, such as sand, snow, or gripping those speed bumps at your local DQ.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,355 Posts
this truck shouldn't have faux stuff on it. yes it's supposed to be retro but everything should be functional. Faux won't appeal to the guys they're trying to sell to...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,087 Posts
I hope Toyota changes that in their production model, the hood scoop insert. Owning a '92 MR2 for 10 years, that honeycomb stuff on the back of my car....... pain in the........ backside to clean and keep clean. This almost looks simular to that. Maybe there will be an aftermarket screen insert..... I can work with that!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,355 Posts
chewey46 said:
I hope Toyota changes that in their production model, the hood scoop insert. Owning a '92 MR2 for 10 years, that honeycomb stuff on the back of my car....... pain in the........ backside to clean and keep clean. This almost looks simular to that. Maybe there will be an aftermarket screen insert..... I can work with that!!!!
yup just imagine going through a whole slew of bugs on a hot day in the summer with that stuff. Yikes! Scoop full o' bugs....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,087 Posts
Not just for breakfast anymore!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
chewey46 said:
I hope Toyota changes that in their production model, the hood scoop insert. Owning a '92 MR2 for 10 years, that honeycomb stuff on the back of my car....... pain in the........ backside to clean and keep clean. This almost looks simular to that. Maybe there will be an aftermarket screen insert..... I can work with that!!!!
Toyota puts fake hood scoops on the Tacoma and 4Runner too. If it's not functional on the FJC, leave it off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
LRinDallas said:
Toyota puts fake hood scoops on the Tacoma and 4Runner too. If it's not functional on the FJC, leave it off!

Aww, come on, you like the scoop.








(half the reason I got my Sport 4Runner was for the scoop :D )
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top