Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased Stealth with intent of using the Piaa 1500 series fog and driving. They've since been discontinued, and the replacement series, according to local Piaa dealer, is the 2100xt, of which I bought (2) fog, (2) driving patterns.

They are a much smaller housing than the original series, and after test running the rack with, and without lights, they do provide the necessary obstruction to keep the howling noise down.

But they look ridiculous and I've yet to wire, so I can return, if need be. Yes, I know LEDs are a better lighting option, just don't have need for, considering the expense.

Question is, has anyone used the 2100 XT series on a roof rack condition, and do they cast enough light? I'm waiting on sPod to actually wire, and I really don't know if a straight return would even be possible, so I may be stuck with anyway.

The last words to describe by sister in law where they were "cute", which doesn't matter if they actually work well, but if not, then they are ridiculously small.

Curious if anyone has on roof rack and their opinions.

Delancy

·
Registered
717 Posts
not sure how much help I would be I run the 2100's in the rear for a backup light. (fog pattern) I couldn't speak for the 2100xt because they seem to be relatively new. I've had my set up less then a year to give you a time frame.
I think PIAA is a quality light and I'm happy with how I have my lights configured, not sure how you plan to set up your rig.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how much help I would be I run the 2100's in the rear for a backup light. (fog pattern) I couldn't speak for the 2100xt because they seem to be relatively new. I've had my set up less then a year to give you a time frame.
I think PIAA is a quality light and I'm happy with how I have my lights configured, not sure how you plan to set up your rig.

Mike
I'd asked about using for back up light. I was going to purchase a third set for when I bought these. The Piaa dealer, once again a renowned local shop, said they weren't ideal because they were too focused, way to good of a front facing fog for rear lighting. I bought into, but will probably put on rear anyway, if I keep these. It's more the physical size issue, and overall aesthetics. If they are great at lighting for frontal roof rack, I do t care if it looks stupid. If they aren't a good roof light, then I'll have to take my chances at returning. They are not cheap. I've got $450 in the two pairs.

Wanted to see if anyone had used and was pleased with.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 6 of them on my stealth rack. So far I have been pleased with them. I also like the fact they are small.

Assuming pleased with overall light output, are the rears the 2100XT floods? I though they'd be better than the 1500 series due to smaller size.

Thanks for input. I'll wire them up based on.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even better idea on all driving up front. I've read too many threads, for sure. Going to swap the fogs I have up front, to the rear, and order another set of driving for front.

Thanks for replies. Much appreciated.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Thanks for this thread, guys. Curious how things worked out for Chris Delancy. Just about to put the PIAAs onto my Stealth.

Assume you are happy with light output? Also, is it customary to wire the rear lights so they automatically come on in reverse? Any pros/cons to having the rears on a switch vs automatically on in reverse? possible for both - ie automatically illuminate in reverse, but possible to turn them on via a switch (say, you're camping unloading the truck, more convenient to have the rear facing camp, etc).

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hahaha.

If you bump a thread of mine over a month old, be prepared for the consequences.

This is what Delancy did.

Don't do this. ^^^^^^^^

The PIAAs are fine, or look into Rigid 6"-8"-10"- Flood/Spot LEDs. Maybe SRs or D2s, even.

A combo of LEDs could actually work, and be near as cost effective as the PIAAs, lot more light.

If you're not hardcore, and trying to lessen the wind noise, probably be perfectly happy with the PIAAs, and be money ahead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts