Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and search over all of the post regarding installation of the OEM AUX switch. Frankly I do not understand the majority of them. Most of the diagrams are in pdf form talking about what each port represents. All I am trying to do is use the PIAA wiring with the AUX light switch. I am trying to remove the wires from the OEM wire harness and use the PIAA connector. I saw where Barefoot did this, I believe.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/31062-piaa-520s-hooked-up-oem-aux-switch-harnesses.html

Does anyone know if I can pull the 3 wires out of the OEM harness and insert them into the PIAA switch harness. Also what wires would go where?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I have the PIAA lights and I just ordered a Factory switch to do what you are talking about. I will PM you when I receive mine and hook it up. I am tired of using the PIAA switch and I want it to look factory. There is a way to do it and as soon as I have the switch and pigtails I will figure it out. I am a marine electrician and I do this kind of stuff all day long.....or I will start a small fire:lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the PIAA lights and I just ordered a Factory switch to do what you are talking about. I will PM you when I receive mine and hook it up. I am tired of using the PIAA switch and I want it to look factory. There is a way to do it and as soon as I have the switch and pigtails I will figure it out. I am a marine electrician and I do this kind of stuff all day long.....or I will start a small fire:lol:
Thanks... I look forward to hearing what you figure out!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I am a marine electrician and I do this kind of stuff all day long.....or I will start a small fire.
LOL!! :rofl:

Yeah, we're gonna take advice from you after THAT statement. Hell for all we know, you look all burnt up like Freddy Krueger... although a glove with five wirecutters might come in ... handy! :lol:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have read and search over all of the post regarding installation of the OEM AUX switch. Frankly I do not understand the majority of them. Most of the diagrams are in pdf form talking about what each port represents. All I am trying to do is use the PIAA wiring with the AUX light switch. I am trying to remove the wires from the OEM wire harness and use the PIAA connector. I saw where Barefoot did this, I believe.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/31062-piaa-520s-hooked-up-oem-aux-switch-harnesses.html

Does anyone know if I can pull the 3 wires out of the OEM harness and insert them into the PIAA switch harness. Also what wires would go where?

Almost been a year since I did this, but I believe you want to connect the eom aux switch and harness to a set of PIAAs, correct?

So you'll be cutting off the end(socket) of the piaa wire and then cutting off the huge end of the oem ware harness, and you want to connect them together.

The PIAA wires will have one wire(white) I believe that doesn't actually connect to anything, that will be tossed with the socket, the piaa instructions indicate pos and neg, but I believe the white was pos and the black neg.

So you'd end up with a white and black wire to connect to the aux harness, which is 6 wires.
I have this pic, I put together based one another member's pin order description (upon using it) I believe the pic is wrong (had to redo my wires, but didn't write them down), but the 2 grounds are correct, so don't crimp anything until after you'd made sure.

The switch should light orange (back light) when there's power at the switch, little box is green when it's "on", obviously the lights will work when it is on.

Far as powering the switch you have options, tapping the rear diff button"lights on" power wire.

Running a wire from the fuse box, either power on with key, full on, or lights on.

I did mine with "lights on" but not with bright's on like the Toyota lights, so I wouldn't turn them on without knowing, plus they will time off if left on.

You need a ground point for the switch, there is one behind the switch panel under the radio and another below the fuse box, see my installs for more info.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/3933-how-add-another-12v-power-outlet.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...5-wxst-bandi-mount-install-14.html#post439030

This information has been moved (Click Link) due to the closing of contributing Member’s threads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost been a year since I did this, but I believe you want to connect the eom aux switch and harness to a set of PIAAs, correct?

So you'll be cutting off the end(socket) of the piaa wire and then cutting off the huge end of the oem ware harness, and you want to connect them together.

The PIAA wires will have one wire(white) I believe that doesn't actually connect to anything, that will be tossed with the socket, the piaa instructions indicate pos and neg, but I believe the white was pos and the black neg.

So you'd end up with a white and black wire to connect to the aux harness, which is 6 wires.
I have this pic, I put together based one another member's pin order description (upon using it) I believe the pic is wrong (had to redo my wires, but didn't write them down), but the 2 grounds are correct, so don't crimp anything until after you'd made sure.

The switch should light orange (back light) when there's power at the switch, little box is green when it's "on", obviously the lights will work when it is on.

Far as powering the switch you have options, tapping the rear diff button"lights on" power wire.

Running a wire from the fuse box, either power on with key, full on, or lights on.

I did mine with "lights on" but not with bright's on like the Toyota lights, so I wouldn't turn them on without knowing, plus they will time off if left on.

You need a ground point for the switch, there is one behind the switch panel under the radio and another below the fuse box, see my installs for more info.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/3933-how-add-another-12v-power-outlet.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...5-wxst-bandi-mount-install-14.html#post439030

Here it is... this is from the oem wire harness to the PIAA switch

I wanted to use the PIAA wiring and replace the PIAA switch with the OEM aux light switch. There are 6 wires with the OEM, 3 with the PIAA. In the picture above... you attach the red/green & red/blue wires from the OEM wire harness to the white wire from the PIAA switch wires. The green/purplish wire form the OEM wire harness to the red PIAA switch wires. The black OEM wire harness wire to the black PIAA switch wires. This leaves 2 wires left from the OEM wire harness, grey and purple. The grey wire is tapped into the white/green wire coming out of the ATRAC wire harness. The purple wire is tapped into the green wire coming out of the ATRAC switch. By doing all this you are able to use the lights when ever you want to. As oppose to when Toyota thinks you should. P.S. I ran my wires for power into the fuse box and used the 10 amp Dome light fuse for the 510 and the 10 amp Horn fuse for the 520.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts