Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new to off road, etc...and recently purchased a new FJ and thought it needed some additions ($$$). Our Toyota dealership has done/installed xtra equip for their "show vehicles" so thought they would be the ones to do some modification for us on our FJ.

Today 4 PIAA lights were installed on a Nfab Roof Rack Light Mount. They drilled a hole thru the roof ( I was not aware this was needed) to run the wires -- is this normal? It appears to have some black stuff around the hole -- assuming some sort of silicon -- will this keep out water/rain? Is this the normal protocol for installing roof lights that a hole be drilled and silicon used to seal it up?

Lastly the roof lights will only go on when the factory lights are switched on high beam - they said its a relay that triggers that- is that normal too?

Please help this rookie so I know if the dealership did things the right way or if I have to go back and have them make some corrections.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I have a 07 and installed the factory roof lights. They are totally independent of the headlights. It sounds to me that they may not have used the factory relay, etc. Which would make sense as the Toyota setup was only to operate 2 55 watt lamps.

You should be able to change where the trigger wire going to the relay they installed.

Many people here know their way around the electrical system.

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
g'day and welcome from down under.

Having yota fit the equipment, they did it the Yota way per their installation guides, so yes it is done the right way.Drilling a hole thru the roof is normal.

Depending on your location, it maybe a legal requirement that the PIAA's only trigger with hi-beam. But also using the OEM harness and relay, its designed to only light up with hi-beam ..anyway...

You can change this if you wish, but it will mean re-wiring the lights, it also depends on any legal statutes. There are plenty of threads showing how to wire up lights to trigger on at your command, independently of hi-beam.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rotorhed1 & bazross - feel better now seeing your replies...was worried that I should have done it myself (eek that would have been a huge learning curve) or gonna to a true 4X4 shop -- so thank you both for taking time to help me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts