Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I have 2 PIAA lights mounted up on my metaltech tube bumper. They came with a PIAA wiring harness that has a relay and a simple on/off switch.

I have this 5 point switch-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSIYAHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to cut off the PIAA harness switch and wire it up to the new sasquatch 5 point switch.

I've read a few things but I'm still lost. I know that I'll want to connect it to the fuse box so it's only on when it's on ACC w/ the key in.

What I don't know is "how to connect it to the fuse box"? Some say add a fuse? Which one?

Also ..."which PIAA switch wires go to which CH4x4 wires?"

This thread looks right but I'm not sure? Please help! Thanks.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/536466-need-help-wiring-push-button-light-switch-fro-lid-light-bar.html

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Howdy! I have 2 PIAA lights mounted up on my metaltech tube bumper. They came with a PIAA wiring harness that has a relay and a simple on/off switch.

I have this 5 point switch-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSIYAHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to cut off the PIAA harness switch and wire it up to the new sasquatch 5 point switch.

I've read a few things but I'm still lost. I know that I'll want to connect it to the fuse box so it's only on when it's on ACC w/ the key in.

What I don't know is "how to connect it to the fuse box"? Some say add a fuse? Which one?

Also ..."which PIAA switch wires go to which CH4x4 wires?"

This thread looks right but I'm not sure? Please help! Thanks.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/536466-need-help-wiring-push-button-light-switch-fro-lid-light-bar.html

You will need to refer to the wiring diagram that came with the CH4x4 switch. I included the AOB instructions just for discussion and reference, but you will need to refer to the wire diagram that came with the switch. Based on the AOB diagram:

- Green/yellow wire to power from the relay harness.
- Red/yellow wire to relay activation connection.
- Blue/yellow wire to the FJ fuse interior fuse panel using the micro add-a-fuse (see picture). Find an empty slot that is activated when the key is in the on position, otherwise the light will remain on all the time. Alternatively you could wire to the interior dimmer light switch wire.
- Black wire to ground or relay ground wire.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I did exactly that the first time through and it was still always on or off, even without the key in the ignition.

Not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks! I did exactly that the first time through and it was still always on or off, even without the key in the ignition.

Not sure what else to do.
You probably have it plugged into a fuse that's always hot. Find a fuse that is only on when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Here's the fuse box picture to help you determine which slot to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I had it plugged into the bottom row, far right which should just be ACC?

What value fuse do I need in the add a fuse thing?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks! I had it plugged into the bottom row, far right which should just be ACC?

What value fuse do I need in the add a fuse thing?
The far right should be blank (no connection/fuse). As for fuse, that connection should just power the LED light in the switch so 5 amp should be sufficient.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.Yes, exactly, that is blank on the bottom far right and from everything I've researched it is only on when the key is set to "ACC".

But I swear up & down I had it wired in there and it was always on? I'm so lost.

Just cuz I am feeling extra dumb right now I am going to ask this.

So if I wired up my switch as mentioned above, put a 5 amp fuse into the add-a-fuse and slotted it into the bottom far right it should all work as expected?

Or would I just put it in the far right slot with no fuse?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks.Yes, exactly, that is blank on the bottom far right and from everything I've researched it is only on when the key is set to "ACC".

But I swear up & down I had it wired in there and it was always on? I'm so lost.

Just cuz I am feeling extra dumb right now I am going to ask this.

So if I wired up my switch as mentioned above, put a 5 amp fuse into the add-a-fuse and slotted it into the bottom far right it should all work as expected?

Or would I just put it in the far right slot with no fuse?
Yes use the 5 amp fuse. The add-a-switch will not output power without the fuse. Or you can try other available slots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts