Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through all of the posts, grabbed all of the diagrams, and "I think" I have my lights all installed properly. However, I was not able to find exact instructions for hooking up a set of PIAA lights using the factory swtich. I did not want to use any of the factory wiring. I installed the PIAA lights as defined in the instructions - all the way up to running the black and white wires up under the dash. From there, I did not plug in the PIAA switch; instead I cut off the connector and have two wires to connect to the factory Toyota FJ switch with pigtail.

The Toyota switch has 6 wires. Here is what I connected:

Pin 1 and 4 - connected to the white wire from the PIAA lights
Pin 2 and 5 - ground
Pin 3 - fuse box for switched power
Pin 6 - fuse box for interior light circuit

This all seems to work fine. The lights turn on and off, with the green light in the switch turning on. The logo on the switch lights up when turning on the headlights. My only question is: What about the black wire from the PIAA lights? I did not hook that up anywhere and so I'm unsure if I'm 100% correct yet.

Desi

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have read through all of the posts, grabbed all of the diagrams, and "I think" I have my lights all installed properly. However, I was not able to find exact instructions for hooking up a set of PIAA lights using the factory swtich. I did not want to use any of the factory wiring. I installed the PIAA lights as defined in the instructions - all the way up to running the black and white wires up under the dash. From there, I did not plug in the PIAA switch; instead I cut off the connector and have two wires to connect to the factory Toyota FJ switch with pigtail.

The Toyota switch has 6 wires. Here is what I connected:

Pin 1 and 4 - connected to the white wire from the PIAA lights
Pin 2 and 5 - ground
Pin 3 - fuse box for switched power
Pin 6 - fuse box for interior light circuit

This all seems to work fine. The lights turn on and off, with the green light in the switch turning on. The logo on the switch lights up when turning on the headlights. My only question is: What about the black wire from the PIAA lights? I did not hook that up anywhere and so I'm unsure if I'm 100% correct yet.

Desi
I believe the black one you're referring to is just a ground that runs to the switch for the switch light to have a ground and light up.

I cut it close to the relay and just put some heatshrink tubing over the end so it's sealed up and I left it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well, since I didn't know any better, I ran them all the way to the dash - for both sets of lights. I have shrink tubed the ends as well. Thanks.

Desi
No problem.

Look at it on the bright side -- you've got a spare ground for a switch or something low-current in case you need it already up in there! :bigthumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts