Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Install was fairly easy. U just need a long thin flathead screwdriver.

1st - located corner of the bracket, that holds the mirror its just behind the back of glass a small clip, then pry bracket of bottom outer most corner. From the bottom work up to release mirror.

Use masking tape or a cloth to protect plastic.

When mirror is off the bulp plug is just turn and pull out, be sure not to touch bulb with your finger, (oils from skin will dammage bulb)

Putting miror back on be sure to put the top bracket in 1st and make sure mirror is flat and secure.

:cool: The change is very nice, from the old dull yellowish, to a PURE white, it matches the roof. ( ill post better pics later it was hard to make look good in daylight)

Part = PIAA #19172 Extreme White pair pack cost about $15 bucks.

Special thanks to Jay for finding the bracket and helping the on the job.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
very cool! I think the yellowish that comes w/ the truck is supposed to evoke the retro feel, but I'd be curious to see what this looks like at night...

·
Registered
557 Posts
looks good and thanks for the write up! I think this mod is on quite a few peoples list... BTW like the new wheels and tires!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK The lights are very nice a great cheap and easy upgrade, I have a camera phone to take pics they dont do justice. I will borrow a good one soon to get good pics and ill try to get someone local to do a side by side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Chatsworth 818 FJ said:
OK The lights are very nice a great cheap and easy upgrade, I have a camera phone to take pics they dont do justice. I will borrow a good one soon to get good pics and ill try to get someone local to do a side by side.
Very nice of you to post those pics. Nice look. I hope those PIAAs are not too hot. I melted plastic parking light lenses once by changing the bulbs. I take it that those PIAAs stay cool.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive had them on for about a hour drive, the plastic felt a bit, warm but not near hot to melt and I havent smelt and plastic. I never checked how it felt with the stock bulb. There seemed to be good space around the bulb. I will leave the lights on for a few hours this weekend and will be sure to post if theres a issue.

Wow Im going sit and watch my mirror lights and drink beers for hours!! Sounds like something jeff foxworthy you might be a red neck.

Reactions: Mikengo

·
Registered
241 Posts
Has anyone replaced the 2 interrior lights and the license plate light yet? If so can you send me part #'s. I want to change them all at once.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: PIAA super white mirror light, Melt or no melt

Chatsworth 818 FJ said:
Ive had them on for about a hour drive, the plastic felt a bit, warm but not near hot to melt and I havent smelt and plastic. I never checked how it felt with the stock bulb. There seemed to be good space around the bulb. I will leave the lights on for a few hours this weekend and will be sure to post if theres a issue.
Wow Im going sit and watch my mirror lights and drink beers for hours!! Sounds like something jeff foxworthy you might be a red neck.
Make sure it's on a nice warm Sunday afternoon! But thanks for the feedback. That's great of you :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just ordered mine, thanks for the tips! As it is everyone gets outta my way in the fast lane, these should help nicely with the remaining maroons.

FYI these are $10.45 on Amazon.com.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great tip Chatsworth!

I decided on VooDoo Blue mirror lights...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Too Many Toys said:
Great tip Chatsworth!

I decided on VooDoo Blue mirror lights...

Not a good idea...blue or red lights facing forward at any height (and green = {Volunteer}) will definitely get you stopped and probably ticketed because they officially represent emergency vehicles...they need not flash in order to be considered prima facia evidence of an emergency vehicle. Stick with amber or white.

I admit they do look good though.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think they are bright or pure blue enuff to get pulled over. Speaking from exp. enen though my lights are brighter they still dont outwardly throw off light much, anywhere like a head lamp. Bottom line if a cop has a bad day, he will pull you over for anything. This could easly be fought in court, with the right angle picture u could say lights arent blue, or simply say its a malfunction.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Once upon a time, I got pulled over for having (I'm embarassed to admit) blue LED lighted windshield squirters installed on a Honda CRX. The cop read me the riot act for having blue "lights" installed on my car, even though they were just LED accents and cast no beam whatsoever. He proceeded to give me a rough time about every nit-picky detail he could find, and even accused me of having been drinking. (I was well-dressed, in my 30's, had not had anything to drink, and was far more polite than I should've been.) After almost a half hour, I drove away with a "fix it" ticket. The lesson I learned: don't give cops an excuse to give you trouble. (This was in one of the nicer suburbs of Chicago where the cops don't typically harrass people.)

Reactions: Jon Konito

·
Registered
89 Posts
TOCruiser said:
Can you include the part # for the "voodoo blue" mirror lights?
Looks great!
Not sure of the part # & I've thrown away the package. They were at an auto parts store, right next to the standard 194 replacement bulbs. They're just a #194 coated with some type of blue 'paint'.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts