Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems is, All these lights come on, if i stop and put it in park i wont be able to get it out of park for some time. i start pumping the break and wiggling the shifter and it will come out in a minute or 3. Not sure if its time related or the pumping/wiggling helps.

i THINK the lights turn on if my wheels are turned, THINK, not sure. I can sit in a fast food drive through (wheels turned) and it happens, or when im leaving work ( left to pull out). Nothing happens that i can notice unless i put the truck in park, then im stuck for a few.

Oh and im 500 over my 60k to boot :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Check the wiring by your ABS sensors (IIRC). There should threads regarding this issue.
When did this start happening, anything unusual lately? Off road, drove fast through water,...
Good Luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the wiring by your ABS sensors (IIRC). There should threads regarding this issue.
When did this start happening, anything unusual lately? Off road, drove fast through water,...
Good Luck
Nothing out of the norm.

Update though. i took it to the dealer this morn. They say it was the brake sensor ? $180 to fix. ill update if that wasnt it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lights of Death, there should be a thread on this.
all those lights come on due to a code in the engine ecu the veh disables all outher systems even if their isnt an issue in those systems their is no fix all cure for those lights.

Good Luck
a abs or wheel speed issue will not cause the veh to not come out of park
Nothing out of the norm.

Update though. i took it to the dealer this morn. They say it was the brake sensor ? $180 to fix. ill update if that wasnt it.
that is the stop light switch the reason it wont come out of park is the veh dont know ur on the brake pedal almost all toyta veh use the same switch and they fail fairly regularly most likely that is the issue. and ur brake lights may not work until it is repaired depends witch side of the switch is failed

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
all my AT Toyotas have a spot near the "P" location. It is to over ride the brake - Park issue. Open the little "door" should be under it. I guess it is not a rare issue.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
those lights will go off for just about anything out of the norm..but I've never heard of it taking awhile to come out of park... hope the dealer got it in the first try :bigthumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that this is really old, but I just had to tell Chevelle350 for bailing me out today. I was at the drive through at Arby's and put my FJ in park at the window. The ABS lights came on and it would not shift into park when I tried to leave. I sat there and turned the vehicle on and off, turned the wheel, set the e-brake and did everything that I could think of to get it back into Drive. So...I called a tow truck. In the meantime, while the manager was fuming and cars were stacking up behind me, I did a Google search and found this thread. After reading Chevelle350's part, I found the little "window", popped it off and overrode the Park lock. I cancelled the tow truck and drove away.

I know people probably don't think much when they post on this thing, but it sure saved my rear end today. Thank you Chevelle350, you helped a dude clear across the country today and didn't even know it!:clap:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,919 Posts
That's great you got it moving using the forum. Lot's of info here if you can find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also had the same problem (see "ABS-TC-VSC OFF-VSC Lights On" Thread). My issue turned out to be the brake light switch. As shown in my posted pic, not only dose that switch control the rear brake lights, but there is also another set of contacts in the same housing that "talk" to the ECU. If they are bad it will trip the dash lights as your pic shows. I'm sure there are several other conditions that will set off the dash lights (wheel sensors and there assoc.wiring etc.) but from what I have found, the most common fault seems to be the brake light switch. Very ez to fix on the road....or off. Take a quick look at the other thread. I posted a step by step pic of the contacts as found and after cleaning. If in fact it dose turn out to be a b-light sw., post a pic of the contacts as found. Again very ez to repair (2 plastic clips, quick wipe with some fine emory paper on the contacts, spray contact cleaner, reassemble with a little lube and its good to go). Good luck.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing out of the norm.

i took it to the dealer this morn. They say it was the brake sensor ? $180 to fix. ill update if that wasnt it.
sorry i never updated but yes that was the issue and it hasnt given me anymore issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all,

My 2007 FJ automatic has the same problems. Most of the time everything is just fine. Once in a while it will be stuck in PARK and only come out of park if I STOMP on the brake pedal. Thankfully I have not yet had to resort to the release switch beside the shift lever that many have referred to in their posts. At other, and possibly unrelated, times , the 4 vertical lights come on (the ones that have been referred to as 'the lights of death'). I pull over, switch off the ignition, restart and these lights of death are no longer on. But I would like to fix the problem and think the two problems are related.

I have read in various place of the 'brake light sensor' the brake pedal sensor, the brake switch and a few other names that in my advancing age I can not draw to mind just now.

I have read that this piece is inexpensive and easily replaced, BUT it has been described as being either 'under', or 'on' the brake pedal , in one case as being 'on the floor board beside the brake pedal' and in another as being'just above the brake pedal under the dash'.

So perhaps there are two sensors? Or maybe it is in a different location depending on the year, transmission or something else.

I would be ever so grateful for a photo or description of the location, so that I could inspect, clean or replace the part. Also if possible does anyone have the actual part number.

I live in a remote community and cannot easily go to a dealer. Local mechanics have advanced some very peculiar theories. I suppose I should get an OBD 11 and likely will, on my next visit to the city., but for now:

Is there one or more switches, and where can I find it or them?

Thank you all so much,

Gairth

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gairth,
I believe the brake light switch has two sides (like double pole). let me check on that and get you a diagram.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Under the dash, follow the brake pedal up and find the switch that actuates when the pedal is depressed.

I am having an off evening. Perhaps someone else will be able to advise you further.
Bon Chance..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brake light switch went out on my 2007 FJ when I bought it like 5 years ago. Was like $35 from toyota, easy to replace. When that switch doesn't turn on, the brake lights don't work, won't release the shifter from park, and throws all sorts of codes with ABS and traction control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts