Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone snap a picture of the mud slide across 550 from the monsoon? We reluctantly drove across it as it was coming down but didn't think about getting a picture... I remember seeing one on a cell phone but can't recall who it was.

Anyone?

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I have pics! I think on my cell and camera.

Send me your email address and phone number so I can send you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No passing notes.. Share with the class.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I don't have the time to figure out how to post. I am email him a pic and a movie of it.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
No, I have a custom tube bumper built that I designed.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Yep. It was ~1 mile south of the Amphitheater Campground (right about here), and we saw it on our way back from our Imogene/Ophir run.

We passed it probably about 10-15 minutes (judging by how long it usually takes to get a crew from town up that far to start working on it) after the rockslide occurred.

Here it is up close as we drove past...

...and then we saw a couple pieces of equipment heading up that way as we went on into town...

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
^^ Awesome pics! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I emailed the OP a video; maybe someone can post that?

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Not to be technical or anything but it's more of a scree slide than a mud slide. Had one on Imogene a couple of Summits ago that we had to drive over in order to get back to Ouray.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Not to be technical or anything but it's more of a scree slide than a mud slide...
For people not at all familiar with the various kinds of natural and/or 'man-made', sudden-mass-wasting types of events (generally categorized together as 'landslides') that can happen in these parts, 'mudslide' is probably fine.

That said, I noticed exactly what you noticed, and that's why I referred to it as a...

rockslide
Note, not necessarily a 'rock fall' (which would consist of much larger pieces of rock letting loose, etc), but there are definitely pieces big enough to be categorized as 'rocks', and not just mud, per se.

Good catch, Woodsie :bigthumb:

p.s. No charts or graphs were harmed in the creation of this post.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Our group must have passed by before the worst of it was sliding down. Mostly it was just muddy water and small rocks but I recall thinking the big stuff is next. "Let's get the heck out of here!".

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
^^^^ Yep....that's exactly what I think of every time I'm driving along somewhere in the mountains where there's a rock face going off above me and it starts raining like that.

One time, on our way back to Ouray at night from a day trip to Durango, it started raining down in Durango, but we didn't even think about it....by the time we got to Hermosa, it turned to snow.....by the time we went by Coal Bank Pass, it was a white-out.....could only see a few meters in front of us, unless there was oncoming traffic.....like that all the way over Molas, through Silverton, over Red, and down into Ouray....as we rounded one of the last corners (very near this rockslide), there were big rocks on top of the snow-covered highway surface. :worried:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts