Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting one since 2007, but have a rule against financing vehicles, so had to wait until the time was right.

Live in NM but bought my FJ in CO. For various reasons, I ended up renting a car one-way to get up there yesterday and then drove back.

It's kind of ironic but my rental was a Prius and I got 51.3 MPG on my way up there. First partial fill-up on the way back (200 miles) came up with 19.1 MPG. Better than I thought actually, but quite a difference. Mostly non-interstate driving with me trying to vary speeds/gears for break-in purposes.

The FJ:
- 2011 Army Green Upgrade #3 (NSSE - not so special edition I suppose)
- Manual Transmission
- tow hitch, passenger armest, carpet floor mats, shiny exhaust tip

Didn't want any other options - or even the floor mats and shiny exhaust tip for that matter. Plan to add some skids and sliders and some additional interior storage and maybe a tire cover.

Received the car with 20 miles. Drove into Discount Tire at 23 miles and put on some Goodyear Duratracs. Big improvement (see pics) but couldn't bring myself to buy the 5th one for now. Yesterday was expensive enough so that'll come later.

FYI on the Duratracs... Very minimal noise and nothing that bothered me at all. I was concerned about that as they are more aggressive than the AT tires I've used in the past (Wrangler Silent Armor, BFG AT/KO, etc.). I picked load range C and started at 37 psi. Rode just fine.

I appreciate all the advice and wise posts here and will continue to follow and hopefully contribute!

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Congrats on the rig and welcome to the gang.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Good choice on the tires. Congrats

·
Registered
456 Posts
Welcome! Rig looks awesome and you will love those tires.

·
Premium Member
16,934 Posts
Congrats on the FJ Cruiser!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:wave: Welcome

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice looking FJ. What size Duratracs did you go with? Are you planning on switching out the steelies sometime in the future?
Bonehead

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice looking FJ. What size Duratracs did you go with? Are you planning on switching out the steelies sometime in the future?
Bonehead
I went with the stock size Duratracs. Want to try to maintain reasonable gas mileage. So far I've gotten 19.1, 20.2 and 18.1 mpg which is better than I expected for an MT6. Lack of a roof rack may help.

I actually kind of dig the steelies and think they look pretty good with the green/black color scheme so will stick with them for the foreseeable future. I had originally planned on replacing them sooner rather than later.

Thanks all for the nice welcome,
Jon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts