Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as the dealer offering protection plans, undercoating etc. etc. etc...Also, how much bargaining should I do for the things I want?

I'm paying cash for the vehicle MSRP (pretty standard here to pay MSRP... havent heard of any vancouverites who havent), don't know if that has any bearing on the situation...I also have been waiting 2 months for it.

any advice would be helpful!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
After much discussion I went for the extended warranty for 5 years, still not sure if I should have - even if it is a Toyota I was worried about a first year of production model. Still not sure if I did the right thing, time will tell.

I didn't go for the undercoating or any of that other stuff. Thats a rip off, and uses maybe $20 or $30 worth of supplies for the $800 or so they charge. I waited 7ish months for mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you pay...if you dont mind me asking....I was thinking of something similar. I dont think undercoating is worth it in vancouver...maybe in AB...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dealers will offer you everything you mentioned as well as a paint protection package. Apparently, dealers make a "good buck" on these kinds of options. Some of these options can be purchased privately and for considerable less.

I waited almost eleven weeks for mine to arrive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMHO - forget the undercoating, forget the rustproofing, and forget the paint protection. These are known to be total rip-offs.

Extended warranty is up to you to decide.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you are worried enough about the extended warranty go for it. It is a first year run after all! As for the undercoats, etc...If youre REALLY anal (like I am) get a can of 3m undercoating and do it yourself. Cost: $12.50 usd. The ability to KNOW that the job was done right? Priceless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a plan. I'll do the undercoat myself...at some point. Any tips on haggling for extended care/warranty packages??

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I'll do the undercoat myself...at some point. Any tips on haggling for extended care/warranty packages??
It's been posted here a few times that US dealers' cost is between $700-800 for the top extended warranty package (7 yrs/100k miles I believe), not sure what the price in Canada is. If you could find out what it's costing them you'd have a good point to negotiate from. Also remember that you can always buy the extended warranty at a later date or even from another dealer.

-Jade

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its Here!!!
Heading out tonight to pick it up, dealer wouldn't budge on the price of the ECP, so I may try elswhere, or not get it at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts