·
Registered
614 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did install by self. Well I should say my 10 year old helped as well to give him credit.

Not to bad. I did the rear on one day and the front the next. I spaced it out to keep it fun.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
looks good. nice choice of tire.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Very nice. I've got the same setup with the RC 3" and 255/80R17s. Had the tires for about 10 months and no complaints so far :rocker:

What pressure are you running them at? I've got mine at 40 psi (cold) and like the way they ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really did not know what pressure to run in the tires on the street. I went with the Discount Tire guy's rec of 35. They have done well so far. Just over 1000 miles on them now.

I thought if I ran much more that the manufacture recs the centers would wear more quickly.

Did you have any alignment issues. How close were you able to get yours to factory spec.

Mine is off a bit but drives fine. Hopefully the tires will wear ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks great! Any issues with the install? Any special tools required? I'm going to look at doing the same to my 2010 TT. Thanks. David

·
Registered
449 Posts
nice... lookin good!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I really did not know what pressure to run in the tires on the street. I went with the Discount Tire guy's rec of 35. They have done well so far. Just over 1000 miles on them now.

I thought if I ran much more that the manufacture recs the centers would wear more quickly.

Did you have any alignment issues. How close were you able to get yours to factory spec.

Get some chaulk and make a fat line across the width of the tread of the tires. Go down a nice flat road a short bit and see if the chaulk is wearing basically all the way across the tread. If not, you may want to air down a few psi and try again. This is just one method of finding the ideal pressure to maximize tread life. The manufacturers can't give a recommendation on what psi to use because each vehicle has a different weight (and at each corner of a vehicle). All they will indicate is what the safe max pressure is at a certain high weight load. Even if 35 psi is good for you now it might not be when you load up with alot of stuff. Your tire guys recommendation of 35 psi is just a ballpark figure. You will have to fine tune it for your vehicle.

As a side note I run my BFG's at 40-42 psi and they are wearing nice and even pretty much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks nice! Hey how is your ride with the 3" lift. I need to order one with in the next week or so I just cant decide what to get????

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great! Any issues with the install? Any special tools required? I'm going to look at doing the same to my 2010 TT. Thanks. David

I would recommend a coil spring compressor for the rear. I used two jacks and two jack stands. Jacks need to be able to lift vehicle relatively high off ground.

One of the parts I thought was difficult was adjusting the front coil overs. The spanner wrenches are difficult to use. Takes quite a bit of torque to move the wrenches and you have limited space.

If you do not turn wrenches frequently, I would pay to have done. If you do and enjoy the work, go for it.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I would recommend a coil spring compressor for the rear. I used two jacks and two jack stands. Jacks need to be able to lift vehicle relatively high off ground.
I don't think that is necessary at all for the rear springs.

Lift the vehicle with a jack under the axle.
Set tall jack stands under the frame rails.
Disconnect sway bar and shocks.
Let the axle droop.
In order to get the springs out, simply place the jack on one side of the axle and lift. This causes the opposite side to drop and the spring just about falls out.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

My 40 psi is giving me even wear. The 35 psi Toyota recommends is for stock-type tires, which are P rated and generally have a max pressure of 35 psi. The KM2 255s are E rated, so their max pressure is 80 psi. Don't want to run them at 80, since that pressure is designed for heavy duty trucks, but the tires can definitely handle the higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Wow... I did not know Toyota offered a color-changing option on the FJ. Looks like yours is totally Sandstorm when offroad, and reverts to Army Green on the street.

That could come in handy when trying to avoid someone. Very sneaky, Toyota.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It looks really good! makes me want to rethink 285's

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear Springs actually said Toytec. They did not have another manufactures name on them. I imagine they purchased from someone.

Caulk idea sound good. I will increase pressure to 40 and find some caulk.

I agree one does not need a coil spring compressor. I happened to have one and had not used in years. Thought it would be a good time to wipe the dust off it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts