Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

761 - 780 of 1504 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think he's 4. I rescued him from the shelter about 3 years ago. Vet thought he was 1 at the time of his initial check up. He pulls like a tractor when we go for walks. Could probably use him for my winch... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I think he's 4. I rescued him from the shelter about 3 years ago. Vet thought he was 1 at the time of his initial check up. He pulls like a tractor when we go for walks. Could probably use him for my winch... ;)
That is a great recovery option to have with you.....talk to FJ_Moose, he knows all about safe snatch strap recovery and dogs.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
They're not in the FJ, but they're sure to make you smile.

Rosco (L) is 1/2 American Bulldog, 1/4 French Bulldog, 1/4 terrier mix.

Dexter (R) is 100% American Bulldog.

Most of their FJ rides happen when Rosco performs a jailbreak from the house and takes off up the hill...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you ever decide to try to curb his pulling, try an Easy Walk harness. Worked wonders on my roommate's husky

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
If you ever decide to try to curb his pulling, try an Easy Walk harness. Worked wonders on my roommate's husky

What also works for a pulling dog is to keep changing directions when the dog walks ahead. He will learn to watch your queues to know what direction to go.

For example if he is pulling, do a 180 degree turn and start walking the other way. Then when he turns to follow you and gets ahead again, do a random 90 degree turn and start walking that way.

If you abruptly and randomly change direction every time the dog gets ahead and pulls, he will get confused and start following your queues on what direction to move without pulling. :cheers:

Your neighbors might think you're crazy but this technique has worked with my 3 Boxers who are notorious pullers without training.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Excellent advice on the harness and walking technique. Thanks! Samson does wear a harness for his walks and I'm working on simple verbal cues and light input on the leash to get him on the track I want. He pulls like a tractor until he chills out a bit and works off some of his energy, then he starts looking for my cues more closely and walking with me. He's a pretty smart boy. I feel lucky to have him.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They're not in the FJ, but they're sure to make you smile.

Rosco (L) is 1/2 American Bulldog, 1/4 French Bulldog, 1/4 terrier mix.

Dexter (R) is 100% American Bulldog.

Most of their FJ rides happen when Rosco performs a jailbreak from the house and takes off up the hill...
I have a friend with an American Bulldog. Great animal with an even temperament. Built like a brick sh*thouse! Bet they love car rides. :)

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Great pictures of the rig and Cochise! Surprised you got him to hold still long enough for the pic. Usually photos of Boxers are a bit blurry...LOL.

Thanks man! Your big Golden Looks awesome too. Cochise is hard to keep in one place....except after letting him run free in the fields to burn off his excess energy!

You need to get Samson a Freedom window or two! :rocker:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Smalldog, I just noticed your window mod last night when I looked at this! That is great! I was thinking the other day about how one would go about installing vent-able windows back there. I had contemplated going to a junkyard and finding a mini-van or something and stripping out the vent hinges and clips (ones that didnt have cheerios or crayons crammed into them). Seems someone has already thought of that! My husky will love being able to have his own window again! If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM (or respond here) with a bit of a review and notes on the mod?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I have a friend with an American Bulldog. Great animal with an even temperament. Built like a brick sh*thouse! Bet they love car rides. :)

They are very sweet dogs, especially Dex. They are extremely protective of the house and family. They're males so an occasional dust up over a bone or toy, but overall they're wonderful dogs.

On Twitter @RussLaraway

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Smalldog, I just noticed your window mod last night when I looked at this! That is great! I was thinking the other day about how one would go about installing vent-able windows back there. I had contemplated going to a junkyard and finding a mini-van or something and stripping out the vent hinges and clips (ones that didnt have cheerios or crayons crammed into them). Seems someone has already thought of that! My husky will love being able to have his own window again! If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM (or respond here) with a bit of a review and notes on the mod?

I just pmd you a ton of pics and feedback. No brainer for the dog to go with the Freedom window(s)! :cheers:

761 - 780 of 1504 Posts