Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
interesting: clean job for sure.

Why?

What did you plug the top gauge hole with?

how did you change the center panel

nice hula girl :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uhoh7 said:
interesting: clean job for sure.

Why?

What did you plug the top gauge hole with?

how did you change the center panel

nice hula girl :)
I could not stand the "romper room" two tone interior. The 3 guage cluster was bugg'n as well. Once the cluster is removed, you will have a hole approximately 3" x 4". It would make a perfect center dash speaker location...or in my case a home for "Lola" the Hula winch. I have not seen a standard dash without the cluster and am guessing that maybe a tray would go in it's place. Hard to believe that Tojo would have two separate dash covers depending on the option of the cluster or not. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good job :D that was my plan, Overall how hard was it to remove the front panel ? Where did you get the color coordinated Hula Skirt ? Nice touch

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Broom said:
How did you do it? Looks good.
I posted panel and cluster removal steps in another post called "Body Panel..."

I fabricated an oval plate and painted it with gray textured paint to form the base for "Lola". I used 2 sided 3M carpet tape to adhere the cover plate in place. Once the center panel is removed you must lightly sand it, prime it, and in my case I chose satin black as the change color. Use Krylon "fusion" paint designed for plastic and it will come out perfect. It looks 100% factory. :)

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
it looks really good,when you gonna paint the door panels?lola looks good in there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
etp095 said:
it looks really good,when you gonna paint the door panels?lola looks good in there.
I was checking them out yesterday trying to decide how they come off. Looks like I will have to remove the entire door panel to do a professional job. The blue must go.

·
Registered
589 Posts
What kind of paint do you use? How resistant to chipping? When I was a bit younger I used to see alot of import car modding that used some paint or other and within weeks the paint was chipping and looked like crap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Batman said:
I could not stand the "romper room" two tone interior. The 3 guage cluster was bugg'n as well. Once the cluster is removed, you will have a hole approximately 3" x 4". It would make a perfect center dash speaker location...or in my case a home for "Lola" the Hula winch. I have not seen a standard dash without the cluster and am guessing that maybe a tray would go in it's place. Hard to believe that Tojo would have two separate dash covers depending on the option of the cluster or not. Who knows?
In Canada the trio cluster ( compass, temp, inclo ) is a option only on the top optioned FJ. If the cluster is not ordered the dash has no tray and is just flat like the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Multi-Info Display

Hi. I want to add one in my new FJ.
Having removed yours - would this be easy to do?
Just pop off a cover and plug it in...?
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ha ha it looked like a kid's room before, now there is a plastic hula doll to make it look manly. Eeargh!

Has anybody put a winch on their FJ yet?

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
Batman said:
Cheers to that! I can't stand the center dash guages and will be chucking them to the curb (ie. selling it on e-bay). If any forum members are interested, PM me and we'll work out a sweet deal. It's unfortunate that Toyota did not leave us the option of not including it. Besides the Hula girl is all you need as a tilt-o-meter. If she's erect then you're on flat land...if she leans to the right, you know you are off camber to the left... as for the temp....stick your head out the window!

Nice one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts