Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You need the pillars to support the weight on the roof for all you guys/gals who want to put canoes and small children up there. Also, NHTSA is going to make the the roll over requirements more stringent for SUVs due to all the deaths. Therefore, the larger the pillar the stronger it is (it should have a roll bar). In addition, the C pillars location and size was probably due to the early prototype, which had a two piece retractable rear window. Lastly, it's different from 99.9% of all the other SUVs with small pillars.

I love it and can't wait to have the first limited run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fireice said:
You need the pillars to support the weight on the roof for all you guys/gals who want to put canoes and small children up there. Also, NHTSA is going to make the the roll over requirements more stringent for SUVs due to all the deaths. Therefore, the larger the pillar the stronger it is (it should have a roll bar). In addition, the C pillars location and size was probably due to the early prototype, which had a two piece retractable rear window. Lastly, it's different from 99.9% of all the other SUVs with small pillars.

I love it and can't wait to have the first limited run.
Here's my question about the roof rack. You mention Canoes up there. We'll I surf but I'm confused on how I'm going to secure my board up there when I look at the rack. Only the two roof rails run to the front of the truck, it's lacking a cross bar, how the hell can anyone use that rack to get a kayak/canoe/surfboard/skiis up there the way it is configured? :confused:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My guess and it is only a guess, is that they left it that way to fit a sunroof. I'd bet that one of the accessories will be a cross bar for the front.

And I agree totally with you, without that crossbar the rack isn't much use to me either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another reason there is such a big structural C pillar, is the fact that there is no B pillar between the 2 side doors! The B pillar is usually the main support for side impact protection. An impact in the side needs to be dissipated to the frame around the door opening including the Pillars, the Roof and the Floor. Hence a large C pillar that compensates for the lack of a B pillar

You can see how thick the door frames are from the available interior pics.

Toyota could have made a small C pillar, but then they would have probably had to axe the "suicide" access doors. I'll get over the big C pillar because I dig those access doors.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with CHEAZHD, the suicide access doors rock. Big C-Pillar is going to be less of a problem then my full-size truck with a camper shell - I know how to use mirrors - I don't see it as an issue. As far as the rack is concerned, really now, if you can't figure out how to strap your surf board to it - you probably shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle period... besides, I am certain that Thule and Yakima will be making so supremely badass roof systems and probably some receiver hitch style systems shortly after the release that can accomodate everything from Kayaks to your mother-in-law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts