Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
08 FJ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've waited some time and spent a decent amount of cash looking to setup a good sounding system (something with an up-to-date sound chip) as well as other plug in/supported functions as mentioned previously, along with USB support for a recording camera & backup camera which this unit is meant to support. I purchased the K5 HU that supports wrap around camera as well as a variety of other features but found that the harness sent only fits one of the four factory mates that I have now since I pulled out me factory Head Unit (HU). I have been dealing with them now for several weeks requesting a matching harness but they have commented that the one sent should work as it works for China FJs and that North American models must be different. Out of the box this did not work.

As a work around I purchased an in-between harness ETA21F (sold by Scosche) and attempted to use this to resolve the issue of not having a wire to match with the new HU's AMP (CAN(+)/CAN(-) & IR). Needless to say it is not working as intended. In fact, on the packaging for this product, there is a note that comments this is not meant to support AMP or JBL units; of course I read this after I did all the matching for wires. I called Scosche as indicated on the package to find out what this comment was for and to date there has been no answer as to why this comment is added. They suggested to ensure all wires are connected properly which I did. Again, great support; NOT.....

I have spent a HUGE amount of time trying to find some source that would define what the 4 harnesses that plugged into my HU model# 11828 (see attached images). I have consulted my local dealer who says that there parts & service department can not help out and referred me to the online pay-for-service tech site techinfo.toyota.com. As a note I have a problem with this as I have purchased 3 SR5 4x4s and 2 Fjs to date & find that the money spent on the vehicles should justify some type of assistance; BUT NO..... I even went to Toyota Canada next and requested info on this but again, no info available and the representative actually asked me to send the info to them when I find it; REALLY.....

I then attempted to contact Fujitsu China but the email address for tech support of course is "404" so to speak. I then contacted Fujitsu Canada and asked them if they could assist. I had an email back from a representative there who commented that this was way out of his realm and provided the same email & a fax number as well. I forwarded this company info off to the Owince support team to indicate the business name Fujitsu Ten Electronics WUXI Ltd, complete with address and website URL hoping that this China company would have more success contact the same rather then sending a fax from English Canada; conversations exchange can be taxing.....

Status so far is that I have found a number of resources documents from the forums user's posts, which I have forwarded to the Owince support representative but thus far they are still asking for the same info. I can not understand why it is so difficult to get a mapping-definitions product for the back of this HU. Again, there are four connector harnesses but once removed what is no longer functioning. I would like to understand what exactly each harness is meant for (two different types in groups of two) but for the life of me I just keep getting blocked. I have provided what info I have found (including a stitched together wiring diagram that I thought would do the trick which was derived from a pdf single page document that was what I thought the wholly Grail but apparently this was not enough either.

I have attached a couple of images in support and this is my first post so please have patients with me as I am a novice to this site. I hope this was not to lengthy for a read but wanted to detail my frustration this far. If anyone can tell me what the four factory harnesses were meant for that married the old HU and what the pinout definitions are (PinNumber-FeedingWireColor) I would really be a grateful Canadian EH.

I even tried to develop a matrix of all the components to see if I had missed anything however I would really like to know what the original HU's 4 factory harnesses remaining are meant for.

PS: hopefully with the time at home due to this pandemic there might be someone with a bit of free time to assist.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
First a few questions. What was the audio configuration of the FJ Stock? 6, 8 or 9 speakers? 6 Is front doors, dash and headliner. 8 adds the rear
C pillars. 9 adds the Sub. What headunit manufacture and model number?

Normally aftermarket head units have a set of harness with flying leads with each lead labeled and color coded. They also some with some documentation that explains the connections. Is the true for your head unit?

There are aftermarket into vehicle harness (female) that mate to the factory male harnesses connectors. This too has flying leads that are labeled the color coded. This sounds like the harness you purchased?

You, the installer, just need to connect the leads from the headunit harness to the into vehicle harness leads.
If you have a 9 speaker FJ. There is a amp that has to be properly connected. This is a far more complex installation.

·
Registered
08 FJ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is the head unit (35382) I am replacing and yes the 9 speaker system is what I have.

I do have what you've modeled here with flyout & leads. I have wire as indicated as can't understand why I'm not getting all speakers & amp firing.

I have a Scoche ETA21F for Toyota 87 & up. I've read the wiring diagram and follows the mapping for pairing the wires via each vendor's list but have a dead zone still.

The new head unit K5 from Ownice has 2 version of outputs; 1 from a 20 pin connected harness they supplied (as mentioned) with only one female end that mates with one of the four factory plugs. There is another connector included on the harness but it doesn't match any factor plug existing.

When I completed the pairing I have now an added two more connectors provided from the "tradition" harness from Scoche leaving just a single factory plug not mates.

The weird part is that all of the color coded wires that are mated together via the flyout/lead pairing method result in 3 completed female connectors instead of just one, which is a positive so I think I've made some progress on that side of the equation (ie ready for integration with the factory male plugs remaining (once attached to the old HU).

Please note that the only factory plug not mated retains all the same colored wires that were represented to pair between the new HU's flyouts to the ETA21F leads. In other words it seems like these would have allowed me to go directly from the new HU to just this one factory plug remaing with no connector.

For clarity, with this new HU & transition harness mated via the 3 plugs matched, all the factory male ends now attached have different color coded wires.

I am wondering if it was a mistake to get the transition harness and if I should just cut off the male plug end on the only remaining balance unmatched factory plug and just wire direct by color code.

I don't want to do this without understanding why this situation exists. My query is why wouldn't the HU vendor just simply add the proper female end one their flyouts to mate with just this single plug that has all the same color coded wires? Why wouldn't Owince engineers do the R&D on their end to ensure my ordered HU could be plugged in directly to only this one plug saving time and the cost of an transition harness at all?

·
Registered
08 FJ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thank you very much for the reply and for the interest in assisting. I've sent the same info to Owince support who claims their engineer is on vaca in China as he headed back to his home town to sweep out tombs.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you post picture of what we are working with? That little picture of the black plug, titled pinoutheadunit.png look odd to me. I would have assumed that the head unit would have 4 plugs like the ebay listing. I would have expected the head unit to be a straight swap. You would be missing wires in the harnesses for unsupported items, like USB port to the dash USB/AUX port.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts