Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 TT here and looking to replace the Head unit(non JBL Subwoofer).
Looking for....

quality sound
SAT integration
Nav
BT
Ipod connectivity
Back up cam integration

Will match to mid level amp/Sub and speakers......

The NEX looks pretty sweet, but I'm also an alpine fan as well and will most likely mate to an alpine amp.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
the Alpine INE-928HD doesn't fit in the FJ, the INE-W927HD does i have that head-unit and I'm more than happy with it, the Alpine would be my first choice then Pioneer, both are great though,if you go with an Alpine amp use the PDX line, JL Audio makes killer amp also look at the XD ,Slash or the HD in JL

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

JL Audio: Car Stereo, Speakers, Subs, Amps, Home Theater

A component speaker system would be the way to go with a subwoofer

·
Registered
364 Posts
Another INE-W927HD here - in a 2013 TT.

Sound quality is excellent - speakers will dictate a lot of this - I changed out my speakers.
SAT - I am not a SAT subscriber so no biggie for me. I believe you have to run the aftermarket (Alpine in this case) antenna.
Nav - place the receiver doo-dat in the right front dash speaker area (as documented on this site) works great.
BT - no issue
iPod/USB - did not reuse the stock location - routed a connector to the glove box.
Back-up Camera - did not mess with this. Left it in the mirror - primarily due to system boot time (10-15s).

Edit - speaker info update.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I will add some more -

The FJ is not well suited to "audiophile" quality sound IMO. The door speakers are too close to you feet, the dash ones are too far forward. Nothing (worth mentioning) rear - unless you have the JBL upgrade or DIY.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe its a good thing the 928 wont fit...can get a good deal on the 927HD. I'll do some more research here, andhave to consider a DIY vs professional install...

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Same Alpine headunit you're looking Focal 165 KRX3s three way component speakers , JL HD 600/4 running the components JL HD 750/1 running a JL 12" W7 subwoofer in a custom built box about 120 sq. ft. Of sound deading , custom wired/install upgraded electrical system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa...thats some serious equip.....I'm looking a step down from that....prob 3k budget.....and will prob do a little sound deadening as well.....

I'll be sure to check out some JL products......but most likely will go with the Alpine Head Unit.......

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
the INE-Z928HD won't fit in my 2007 without cutting up the dash/mod to do it,I tried it and i didn't want to cut up the dash to get it to work, because if i sell the truck the factory deck won't go back in without replacing the dash and you would have to leave a 1700.00 head-unit in the truck, only difference between the two is the 927 is a 7" screen and the 928 is an 8" screen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to bring back and old thread but... how much did the sound deadener help? I have around 140sqft of Dynamat laying around..... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
might have to really look into this ipad mini install.....

Soundwaves of Tampa, Florida (813) 849-1104 - Photo Gallery

About this iPad mini idea.. Did you find anything more on it? It seems pretty far out there but if done correctly, expensive as it might be, it could be pretty cool. I wonder if Apple will ever throw their collective hat into the car audio ring. Build something that will throw out power and allow interchangeable devices. Ok I'm talkin crazy..
I'm looking to upgrade my entire sound system. After about a month of research everyone I've talked to says upgrade your head unit first. All roads point to the Pioneer NEX bc of price and what I need it for. Does anyone have any experience with the Pioneer Appradio? All I found was a TON of bad reviews for the 3rd gen, but on paper it looks great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Apple has the "carplay" option looks really cool if you use an iphone. Nex line will support this.

I think appradio works good if your wanting cool technology in your dash at a cheap price. (Girlfriends car). There's minimal sound enhancement/equalization and overall adjustment features. No subwoofer output. But bluetooth, apps, backup camera etc all work great. The screen is awesome! It has its own navigation antenna to relieve your phone from some of its NAV duties thus enhancing battery life. YouTube arunchained and see what this radio really can do! It's awesome if your tech savy!!

That being said the nex 8000 is the only other unit in there line up with the same screen as appradio3, Uber expensive, loaded with NAV that is arguably not worth it as you must update maps frequently pia!- no detachable face - no remote. A very nice unit! It's their flagship model.

I personally have the Nex 4000. It has a lot of the features of both the 8000 and app radio3. The 4000 does not have navigation (I use my phone anyways) with app radio input-waze This unit has a detachable face, remote, 13 band eq, time allignment, auto eq, adjustable crossovers, and sub outputs. Additional av input can be used for front facing camera. It's has backup camera assist - meaning you can adjust the lines present on the camera. Plays flac files. If your interested in sound quality, tuning options, and adding aftermarket amps and speakers this unit offers alot more than the appradio3. I would defiantly consider adding a subwoofer control knob as its too many steps adjusting it on the fly. Some music source over emphasize bass while other sources it seems absent. That's why a control knob is almost a must...Goodluck I think they are all good. Depends what your needs and wants are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts