Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:

Just checking if any body have installed the Pioneer Avic-2 with the back up camera?

How about the steering wheel volume controls, any problems or special adapter?
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

drtorres
+++

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wrapped up a Z2 install with the backup cam. One thing to note - the reverse lead needed by the Z2 is a Red-Yellow wire in the driver's side kick panel. Some folks have split open the wire harness under the door sill and tapped there - YMMV.

The Red-Yellow wire is different than the Yellow-Red wire. The one you want to tap is mostly red with a thin yellow stripe - not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a Avic D2 nav system installed w/ back camera, ipod video interface, steering wheel control & XM. Everything works great. Had it installed at CarTunes in Largo FL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...just posted a thread regarding a clean PAC SWI-PS steering wheel control. Programming isn't that bad, and it worked on the first try. ...very happy with it, and the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is two thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Just finished a Z2 install as well, no back up camera...who can afford the anything after buying this head unit???

Worth every penny though.

To bypass go to AVIC411.com and look for pre/post june bypass files. You have to update your system and then you can just ground two wires and be done with it. Took me a while to realize this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For those of u with the Z2, where did u instal the mic and the bluetooth adaptor if you have it. How are they working?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
...installed the mic on the steering column. Folks tell me it doesn't sound too great, so am thinging of relocating to the headliner (somewhere, somehow). The A pillar and the rear-view mirror seem too far away.

The bluetooth module is mounted just to the right of the glovebox. There is a niche just inside the panel, and used some two-sided heavy duty tape to secure it - works great.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Same with Kents, mic is on steering column, looks funny but works well. I dont have BlueTooth interface, so I can't comment on callers hearing me, but the voice activated features work quick and easily.

·
Registered
222 Posts
...installed the mic on the steering column. Folks tell me it doesn't sound too great, so am thinging of relocating to the headliner (somewhere, somehow). The A pillar and the rear-view mirror seem too far away.

The bluetooth module is mounted just to the right of the glovebox. There is a niche just inside the panel, and used some two-sided heavy duty tape to secure it - works great.
Feedback from the AVIC411.com forum suggested the top of the A-pillar. So given your comments I think I will try that location. I'll mount the bluetooth module where u suggested.

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
rwerth - how did that mic install location work? I'm going to relocate mine from the steering column
A-pillar did not work out. Too much distance to the mic and it picks up the sound of air movement. I'm guessing from the heater/open window. So I moved it to the front edge of the driver's grip handle above the door. (Cuts the distance in half.) The mic comes through the headliner at the front hole for the handle. The only thing that shows is just the mic sticking out at the front junction between the headliner and the handle. You don't even notice it has the headliner is recessed at that point.

Works great. No background noise. Does not interfere with using the handle as it is mounted on the outside of the handle where it meets the headliner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts