Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased and installed a new head unit to replace the base model in my FJ. The head unit I selected was the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. I chose this deck because of the price ($250 at newegg), iPod functionality, auxiliary input, and built-in bluetooth capability.

A quick overview of my experience so far has been that the quality of the audio is a definite upgrade from the factory stereo (I have not upgraded the speakers yet). The iPod navigation works great via Pioneer's interface. The bluetooth handsfree works flawlessly with my iPhone. The handsfree system works better than the system that I had in my '06 Acura TSX. One issue that I am having is finding a good and stealthy location for the microphone which is wired externally from the head unit.

The picture I have attached is not a great one, but it gives you an idea of how it looks.

I haven't spent too much time with the unit and I am limited in time today to give a more in-depth review, so feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks good, where did you say you bought this head unit? New Egg? I'm interested in this unit...thanks for any info

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the unit from newegg.com. I have bought loads of stuff from that retailer over the years and haven't had any problems. As a heads up, when I bought the head unit there was a no refund policy, unless it's defective.

The specific head unit is the Pioneer FH-P8000BT model. The only difference between the FH-P8000BT vs FH-P800BT model is that the 800 has the ability to turn off the internal amplifier if you plan on using external amps to power all of your speakers. The 800 is also harder to find and more expensive.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
I like the look of that unit.. too bad Pioneer is on my personal list of companies NOT to buy from.

Side note: NewEgg is quite competitive for pricing, how ever on non-computer related items as mentioned exchanges/warranty is sometimes a bit touch and go.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
A good place to locate the microphone is above the drivers head at the grab handle, thats where I have mine and it looks nice and neat and out of the way. Also nice looking install, and NewEgg is a awsome place to buy from.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks good!:)

I installed an Avic D3 with BT capabilities. I installed the wired microphone on the drivers side of the rear view mirror mount.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts