Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals:

In response to my "beach" thread, I am going to Pismo with my FJ. I will be there on July 7, 8, 9th. I'll be arriving around 3pm on the 7th. May do a quick recon of the area. The majority of my time on the dunes/beach will be on the 8th.

I will most likily be alone and you can see my FJ in my avatar. Its the same, with the exception of a brush guard and front skid pan.

If anyone sees me and wants to say hello, say hello!!!

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Re: Pismo Beach

Dang it, I just know if I go I'll break something :(...but I have no good excuse not to go and I do know how to fix it :D lemme think about it. camping on the beach, of course??

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to be honest and BLUNT here:

I've never four wheeled driven before in my LIFE!!! I bought my FJ JUST to go off road. I figured the beach would be the easiest way to do so. To break it in and all. I'll be there for sure; lots of personal reasons, etc.

Camping on the beach? Possible. However, as of now, I have motel reseravations in SLO.

Tips? I'll take ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you have. And then some...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alright, that's cool.

1. The very most important thing to do is air down your tires. You absolutely must do it if you want to have fun. Air down to 12-14 psi. Yup, 12-14. I even go down to 10 psi sometimes. 20 psi won't cut it. You need to go low. It's absolutely amazing the amount to traction you get when you air down and those few PSI makes a huge difference. The only thing you need to worry about is blowing your bead. Mostly that happens if you try to take a turn too sharp and you roll the tire right off the rim. Make sure you have your spare.

2. They will look impossible, but you can scale the steep side of the dunes if you're aired down enough. Get some momentum, keep your tire speed up and you'll be amazed. If you do get bogged down on the side of a dune, put it in reverse and very slowly back straight down. DO NOT GET SIDEWAYS. You'll roll.

3. On that note, be careful of those steep drop offs, they'll sneak up on you. Because of the winds, the part of the dunes that face away from the ocean tend to drop off very steeply. Always creep up on those slowly. You can go down those drop offs but until you get more experience make sure there's an easy way for you to exit once you're at the bottom. You don't want to get stuck in a bowl.

4. If you get stuck don't use throttle much, you'll just bury yourself deeper. Stop. Air down more. You'll crawl right out. You can go down to even 5 PSI if you have to.

5. There's a big gas station on grand avenue, I think it's chevron, that has free air up stations. I'm not sure if I'd drive there at 5psi, but 10-12 psi is fine, it's not very far. I have onboard air, but I usually go there to air up, it's faster.

6. As Leo mentioned in the other thread, obey the speed limit on the beach.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Additional tip for beginners: Playing in the sand is more difficult than most other terrains, because it is very easy to get disoriented about angles and direction. The same problems pilots face about the horizon are faced by trucks in the sand. The vehicle's motion is altered by slippage, and your eyes and inner ears can fool your mind. LOOK AT YOUR INCLINOMETER, and if you get stuck or nervous on an uphill approach, always BACK DOWN and never TURN IN TO THE BOTTOM. Also, be careful when approaching dust bowls at speed - your can't alway tell how deep or steep they are, and once you are in them, you may not be able to get out on your own, and you won't be visible to anyone outside the bowl. Also be careful of others who may be stopped on the other side of a dune - you may not be able to stop or steer in time if you are travelling too fast. And last of all, be ready for lots of clean up time - Sand is abrasive, and it will get in everything- froms diffs to air filters, to air conditioning ducts to wiring harnesses. Get it out as thoroughly as possible to prevent damage from abrasion later down the road.
Pismo can be alot of fun -but use common sense and look out for others.;)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Take some plywood. It makes a good platform to jack off of, and to grip with if you get stuck (don't stand behind it). Surface area is king in the sand, that's why airing down is SO important.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys,

I think that I'll be able to join this outing. Hey, my crazy long wheelbase won't hinder me too much out there... If I go, I'll bring two 4'x6' sheets of plywood and a small shovel. Hopefully, I won't need them...:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
4RnrJ said:
Take some plywood. It makes a good platform to jack off of, and to grip with if you get stuck (don't stand behind it). Surface area is king in the sand, that's why airing down is SO important.
he said jack off? haha

·
Registered
162 Posts
momentumfoto said:
he said jack off? haha

laugh all you want as you watch your hi-lift push itself straight into the sand.:eek: ...now that's funny right there! :D I had quite the riotous act of changing a tire out there... I now carry two steel plates 2'x2'x3/16" whenever I'm out in sand.... surface area!

getting lost is pretty fun out there as well! Keep an eye on the sun to keep some directional bearing... yeah Pismo isn't that big, and there will be a LOT of folks out there -speaking of which, you might want to make SPECIFIC plans of when & where to meet...too many folks out there to try a 'chance' meeting....back to getting lost... the place is big enough and with nary a way to self guide ie: all dunes look like the one you were just on..one could drive around for an hour in large circles and still not hit any of the markers....bring water! GPS helps to get back to any specific place ie:CAMP:rolleyes: :D also keeping with another rig for either getting unstuck or unlost is a real goo idea!

Pismo is bizarre in another respect... you'll drive out on the beach, head south to the dune area, pass marker #2 (entering camp zone) and you'll be in RV land... more motorhomes, trailers, trucks, CARS, and everthing else you never thought you'd see on the beach!

Driving in sand is a blast, low tire pressure, STEADY throttle... practice momentum.. no quick braking or throttle or steering... and you'll have a TOTAL BLAST!!

I always have a blast at Pismo... it's pretty busy during the summer, so watch out for people wrapped up in their version of having fun! And Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
momentumfoto said:
he said jack off? haha
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. hahaha

I'm actually looking back at that whole sentence now and it is very brokeback! "don't stand behind it" <- got that right

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you use a Hi-Lift just get the offroad base. It works like a charm in sand.

Turn of the VSC by locking the center diff on the MT FJCs. You dont want it throttling you back on sand. AT will have no issues.

ALso dont do donuts as you can only do it without VSC, thus 4WD center diff locked. This ends up psuhing your front adn you quickly pop a bead on the front wheel. I did it and Henry as well.

HI-Lift base, popping bead back

Happy owner of a popped bead :D

What it looks like having fun :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
hmm.... Bulldog... I see a pattern... seems to me that the right front tire is the one that get's popped off the bead... that's the one that I did, and I saw a few other's out there... not gonna dig too deep (o.k. bad pun...) but seems like more often... looks like you was having fun... Pismo? Glamis? Sand Mountain?

...oh... Flags are required on Quads and Motorcycles... but not a bad idea at all for trucks, as those little critters get around there pretty quick... you can get them at all the motorcycle shops in Pismo Beach, as well as at some of the vendors out at the beach (a few extra$$$)...but their mounts are set up for the motorcycle's... so be prepared with a mount if you're a thinkin' about putting one on. I saw a thread on here somewhere where they mounted the flag in a hitch receiver with a few large washers or something... was a quick and sturdy mount.

-Mark

·
Registered
333 Posts
I popped my left front tire, maybe I'm just different :D

It was Pismo at the last Surf and Turf. It is normally great fun and over 150 cruisers out there. Check out IH8MUD arouns Sept/Oct for details.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MrSammi said:
...oh... Flags are required on Quads and Motorcycles... but not a bad idea at all for trucks, as those little critters get around there pretty quick... you can get them at all the motorcycle shops in Pismo Beach, as well as at some of the vendors out at the beach (a few extra$$$)...but their mounts are set up for the motorcycle's... so be prepared with a mount if you're a thinkin' about putting one on. I saw a thread on here somewhere where they mounted the flag in a hitch receiver with a few large washers or something... was a quick and sturdy mount.

-Mark
Thanks for the info. I like the hitch setup in the thread I think you alluded to. Forum won't let me post the url but it must've been the "..sand lake run.." thread. I think I'll try to duplicate that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good tips on driving in the sand dunes!

Here's another...

Don't press the brake when you stop, just let 'er coast to a stop.
And, always stop facing downhill for an easy exit.

Why?
Braking causes the front tires to push into the sand leaving a small "hill" in front of the tire when you stop. It makes it much harder to get going again.

You've lost your momentum after stopping, facing downhill makes for an easy start, once you're moving and get your speed up you can go where you want.

Want to practice?
Come join us at the 5th Annual Surf N Turf....

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10243

Cheers,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts