Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive posted before about how my winch wore a hole in my ac hose causing me to not have ac. well i ordered the part and was getting it installed today when they found a hole in my condenser?.. how would this happen? they said a rock might have flown up and made a hole.. can that even happen?.. im pissed! the hose and labor will be 480 and then to fix the condenser would be 900! theres no way. any thoughts?... im pissed. and its 100 degrees here. i hate dealerships.. they rip you off.
i only had a 36,000 mile warranty and my car has 50,000.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but if you are able to do the install yourself, then that will cut back on the labor, and I think that $900 for a condenser is a little too much. :bandit:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I'd take to a couple of shops. If the stealership is going to charge you then take it around and get some estimates...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
ive posted before about how my winch wore a hole in my ac hose causing me to not have ac. well i ordered the part and was getting it installed today when they found a hole in my condenser?.. how would this happen? they said a rock might have flown up and made a hole.. can that even happen?.. im pissed! the hose and labor will be 480 and then to fix the condenser would be 900! theres no way. any thoughts?... im pissed. and its 100 degrees here. i hate dealerships.. they rip you off.
i only had a 36,000 mile warranty and my car has 50,000.

We put a hole in a customer’s condenser once and a local radiator shop charged 20-30 to fix the hole. Plus the cost of refilling the system. Take it some where else.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We put a hole in a customer’s condenser once and a local radiator shop charged 20-30 to fix the hole. Plus the cost of refilling the system. Take it some where else.
Todd told me you MENT to do that!:lol:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Damage like that can happen anytime. Find a replacement condenser at a junk yard. I'm sure there's more than a few totalled FJ's out there...I bet Tacoma and 4-runner condensers are the same too. Or, get yours repaired. Either way, you should be able to do all the wrenching yourself then take it to a shop to have the system charged again. I doubt it would even take that long to do the wrenching.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I agree with the others, take the condenser out yourself, go to a good radiator shop. You would be amazed at what they can fix. If they can't fix it, then go to a pick-N-pull(junkyard) and pull a replacement yourself, or buy a used on off the shelf. Install the new line and the fixed or junkyard condenser and then take it to a shop to have the system vac'd and refilled.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
After additional thought, I wonder if your insurance would cover the cost of the damaged condenser? It's the same a rock hitting a windshield and breaking it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
291 Posts
If it was a rock strike your insurance may cover part of the repair. That should be considered an "accident" just like glass damage. How much is you deductible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts