Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,906 Posts
Any kind of film - 3M clear bra, window tint etc.

Elecrical I find fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I like the turkey pitas.

but as far as mods on my truck, I am really dissapointed with how powder coating holds up on my rock rails and bumper. I will NEVER buy anything powder coated again for my truck, it was a rookie mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
But for real: everything is a freakin' PITA mod for me cos there is always at least one thing that goes wrong. Case in point: last night I am trying to install my factory hitch. So after running back inside several times to search the forum for 1. How to unclip the backup sensor connectors (which were caked in mud by the way) and 2: how to unsnap the rear bumper fascia after all the screws and clips are removed, I start putting in the bolts to make sure they are going to go in ok and the two on the bottom won't go in at all. I am guessing I am going to have to go get a tap and dye kit and re-tap the threads. So now I am driving around with my hitch "installed" by only 4 bolts and no rear bumper fascia.

But I was at least treated to this which gave me a laugh. Yes, that is styrofoam

Attachments

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But for real: everything is a freakin' PITA mod for me cos there is always at least one thing that goes wrong. Case in point: last night I am trying to install my factory hitch. So after running back inside several times to search the forum for 1. How to unclip the backup sensor connectors (which were caked in mud by the way) and 2: how to unsnap the rear bumper fascia after all the screws and clips are removed, I start putting in the bolts to make sure they are going to go in ok and the two on the bottom won't go in at all. I am guessing I am going to have to go get a tap and dye kit and re-tap the threads. So now I am driving around with my hitch "installed" by only 4 bolts and no rear bumper fascia.

But I was at least treated to this which gave me a laugh. Yes, that is styrofoam
Just get the tap and clean the threads. Should do the trick. When I installed my hitch I just loosened up the plastic bumper and pried it open enough to put the bolts in then used a dremal to trim the silver facia.
I was to lazy to fully remove bumper cover

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The tap you are looking for is a 12 X 1.25 mm. This is not a common tap in most tap and die sets so make sure you are getting what you need if you buy a full set. I bought mine as a single at a Car Quest auto store. I have also seen them at NAPA stores. Auto Zone and Advanced uto are not likely to carry them.

All the capture bolts for the rear bumpers and stock hitch as well as the two capture nuts used for most front bumpers are this size.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
The tap you are looking for is a 12 X 1.25 mm. This is not a common tap in most tap and die sets so make sure you are getting what you need if you buy a full set. I bought mine as a single at a Car Quest auto store. I have also seen them at NAPA stores. Auto Zone and Advanced uto are not likely to carry them.

All the capture bolts for the rear bumpers and stock hitch as well as the two capture nuts used for most front bumpers are this size.
Thanks! I went by a Napa and that is the size he gave me but they didn't have it there. Told me another Napa that is on my way home has it but they are closed now (Atlanta is shut down today). Went by Lowes but they were clueless.

I'll check out Car Quest too

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Does fury road kill in you grill count as a PITA mod?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found the snorkel to be the easiest of the mods I have done myself. Though I am a bit more than fifteen degrees left of center, and found cutting holes in my fj a bit fun :lol:

Most pita mod for me was putting on a front bumper. Not the actual putting it on but the removal of the stock metal. I had to CUT several of the nuts off the mounting studs to get the stock metal bumper off because toyota, in their infinite wisdom put them on in such a way that they seized THAT badly.
:flame:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I also did not think the snorkel was a difficult mod, The suspension was quite a bit more complicated, but really there is enough information here to get a pretty good idea of what a mod is going to require, so nothing is a real surprise. Do your research and be prepared and they're all easy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Suspension for me thus far. Both the front and rear were equally bad. The front sucked because of 2 reasons, 1. The 3 nuts on the top of the shock. Seriously, could we get some access holes in the engine bay. Also, the nut on the bottom of the UCA was so seized up, that I ultimately rounded it off. Went through 2 blades sawing it off with my sawzal. And as for the rear, the main reason it sucked was because of my own stupidity. I wasn't thinking and disconnected the bottom end of the (sorry I don't know the technical name) bar that runs from left to right at an angle across the rear of the axle. Took me hours to get that thing lined back up to pop it back into place. Here's a tip disconnect the top, the reattach the bottom end, and then just use a jack to force the bar back into place at the top.

Easiest mod thus far... husky liners. Easiest mod that really truly has value as a mod, the toyoutfitters rear LCA's. With a ratcheting come-a-long, this took me about 5 minutes a side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts