Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first FJ a couple weeks ago, it's a 13' model and only has 90k on it. The windshield is badly pitted. The vehicle doesn't have any other signs of sand-pitting or rock chips anywhere, never had any paint work, etc. It's basically perfect except for the windshield. I am wondering if pitting on the windshields on these things is common due to the near vertical angle of the front windsheild. I've owned hundreds of vehicles and driven millions of miles in my lifetime - it generally takes a lot more than 90k miles to pit an ordinary windshield this badly. Anyone else notice their windshield being pitted?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Make sure you have full glass coverage on your insurance. Worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that there is only pitting. Just give it some time and you will have cracking. As Serenity Now stated....get glass coverage with either $50 or zero deductible (at least look at price difference). 58K miles on my 2010 and on windshield #3 which is currently cracked....and cracked about 3 months after the most recent replacement.

I do think the OEM windshields are better than the Safelite replacements that I have had after the OEM cracked.

Also....not sure where you are at, but out here in CO and WY where they sand/salt the roads, a windy day can literally sand blast your vehicle. As can driving anywhere on sanded roads where you get showered for miles by sand. Daughters 99 4Runner had OEM windshield until 120K and you could barely see out of it because it was so rockchipped. Where did your FJ spend its prior life?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider yourself lucky that there is only pitting. Just give it some time and you will have cracking. As Serenity Now stated....get glass coverage with either $50 or zero deductible (at least look at price difference). 58K miles on my 2010 and on windshield #3 which is currently cracked....and cracked about 3 months after the most recent replacement.

I do think the OEM windshields are better than the Safelite replacements that I have had after the OEM cracked.

Also....not sure where you are at, but out here in CO and WY where they sand/salt the roads, a windy day can literally sand blast your vehicle. As can driving anywhere on sanded roads where you get showered for miles by sand. Daughters 99 4Runner had OEM windshield until 120K and you could barely see out of it because it was so rockchipped. Where did your FJ spend its prior life?
I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. My FJ spent most of its life between here and Virgina Beach. It hasn't been exposed to salted/sanded road conditions that I can tell. It's very clean.

Thanks for all the quick followup. I figured this was the case. Maybe someone needs to invent screen protectors for them. :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
...get glass coverage with either $50 or zero deductible (at least look at price difference)...
Is that like a separate glass policy you're talking about? I checked with my insurance, and my full deductible would apply if I were to use my auto policy to replace the windshield, which is way more than the cost of replacement.

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
I'm still on the original windshield with my '08 FJ.... and it's severely pitted (I call it sandblasted).

They salt the roads here and put gravel down as well.... but it's mostly sand and NOT gravel... so that makes a big difference in the life of windshields.

Hell, I've been HOPING for an opportunity to replace the whole windshield but it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Is that like a separate glass policy you're talking about? I checked with my insurance, and my full deductible would apply if I were to use my auto policy to replace the windshield, which is way more than the cost of replacement.
No...just comprehensive coverage for non-collision stuff. I have USAA and have my deductible at $100. I played with the deductible amounts anywhere from $0 to $500 to find the spot that made me comfortable and economic sense. Before my family and before my FJ I usually had my non-collision deductible at $500+. With wife, kids, FJ etc....$100 is about the right place for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
No...just comprehensive coverage for non-collision stuff. I have USAA and have my deductible at $100. I played with the deductible amounts anywhere from $0 to $500 to find the spot that made me comfortable and economic sense. Before my family and before my FJ I usually had my non-collision deductible at $500+. With wife, kids, FJ etc....$100 is about the right place for me.
Oh I see. I've worked out those numbers to where $1000 deductible made economic sense for me.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
"Full auto glass coverage" pays for the cost to repair or replace your damaged auto glass or windshield with no deductible. ... Depending on the state you live in, this can be included in your comprehensive coverage or can be purchased as an add-on to your auto insurance policy. It costs me around $15 per 6 months IIRC. These windshields are not cheap to replace; when I had mine done the glass company asked my insurance company to allow them to use a Toyota upper trim piece as they had previous bad experience with aftermarket trim pieces on FJs... and it was all "free" to me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Full auto glass coverage" pays for the cost to repair or replace your damaged auto glass or windshield with no deductible. ... Depending on the state you live in, this can be included in your comprehensive coverage or can be purchased as an add-on to your auto insurance policy. It costs me around $15 per 6 months IIRC. These windshields are not cheap to replace; when I had mine done the glass company asked my insurance company to allow them to use a Toyota upper trim piece as they had previous bad experience with aftermarket trim pieces on FJs... and it was all "free" to me.
Yeah, apparently, that's a thing in some states. Not in California, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
3rd windshield in 180k mi. First one lasted 35mi before a rock took care of that. 2nd lasted~week before a cold snap found itty bitty defect and cracked it. 3rd lasted about 3 months before a big mother rock fixed that. I try to drive as long as I can before replacing them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
'08 FJ, 270,000mi, I'm on windshield #3, about to get windshield #4, all due to pitting.

Be warned!!! When you get a windshield replaced there are 4 little clips for the above windshield valence that fit into square holes in the roof edge. They have a little rubber gasket between the clip and the sheet metal. If those clips do not seal with the sheet metal you will get water leaks from the holes. I had it happen. The installer was a hack. When I get the next windshield I am going to do the remove and replace of the valence myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
should be comprehensive you are wanting.. i have $0 deductible on any damage and was pretty reasonable.. had mine about a year and yes i now have a crack.. will wait till after winter for repair..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts