Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most would avoid doing this. or giving a blessing. i am (slightly) opposite and wanted to try it, hell, its only marginally larger, not like going to a 34/35.......

i was debating the [toyo open country tire] in oem size, 285.75 and the 305.70.......i chose the 305 because i felt like it gave me the BEST LOOK and biggest option for what I wanted.......its basically a 33x12.2x16......and it fits FINE.

consensus: slight rubbing on mud flap 'hump' as expected. removed flap, no more rubbing. (NO body mount chop)

no wheel spacers either. clears inside just fine. room to spare, even if i deflated a bit for more rock friendly grip.

no lift!

tested it out on some pretty steep hills and ruts, tight turns, backwards and forwards, and even a pretty hard bump on a creek crossing.......no issues.......

down the road, i will probably use some method of 'leveling', probably just a pair of icon or SAW c/o's.......i love the soft stock ride on my TT, and really dont want to get too far from it. just want to edge out the rake, but will cross that bridge when i decide which bumper and winch i want.......

(i adopted the lower COG beliefs a while ago when forced with the choice to one-ton my TJ or build buggy, (i chose low/buggy) and still hold to them. if i rub the inner fenders a bit or chew up the outter flares a bit, so be it. im ok with that. the truck is probably more stable now as it is......)

been down the lifted road a few times, rock crawled all over the country in my jeeps and buggy, and at this point i really just wanted a very capable, more aggressive looking vehicle to DD and pack a bunch of junk and my dogs into and head out where ever i want....

i'd say im getting there......

here are a couple pix......will get some more later.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Without a body mount chop?

How did you do that?

Any special alignment settings?

Looks really nice!...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Looks great to me! Hey it's your ride so you do what you want...regardless what anybody else thinks. By the way nice looking truck and them Toyo's really helped the stance and looks! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without a body mount chop?

How did you do that?

Any special alignment settings?

NO to the BMC.......maybe they are more tapered in on the 2010? i dunno. i took the mud flap off after the drive home, and it has a stupid hump on it, but the body mount is smooth and doesnt take up any of that hump space on the mud flap......

nothing special. the truck is as it came off the lot to me. not realigned, although i think i need a slight rebalance. they did it with the fake lock rings OFF.......i questioned it, and though it was a friend let it slip. he didn't charge me for the m/b........

Looks great to me! Hey it's your ride so you do what you want...regardless what anybody else thinks. By the way nice looking truck and them Toyo's really helped the stance and looks! :rocker:
thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
NO to the BMC.......maybe they are more tapered in on the 2010? i dunno.
They are not.

I just recently put a set of tires on a 2010 and the body mounts are identical.

I would like to see how well they fit on the trail as well :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not.

I just recently put a set of tires on a 2010 and the body mounts are identical.
good to know. i was simply speculating.

i was nervous about it bc almost every thread and response i read was telling me no!.......

had to try.......

·
Registered
535 Posts
wow it almost looks like the body mount doesn't exist on your ride. I thought they usually stick out quite a bit. Either way it looks kick ass.

·
Registered
91 Posts
one of my friends has that exact size in a terra grappler on his non-lifted 2003 land cruiser... no problems. i think tires that big on stock trucks look sick stuffed in the wheel wells like that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am so tempted to go this route and worry about a lift later on. I really like the way it looks. I also don't plan on going to the off road anytime soon. at least not planned that is.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Check your front upper control arms after a while - I bet you'll find them polished (paint worn off) from rubbing in tight turns. Not much of an issue, probably decreases your turning radius slightly.

I was looking at the stock control UCA today and was wondering if you can just remove some material. Kinda goofy to purchase $500+ UCA's when the ones I have are brand new. I understand if removing material weakens the entire stock UCA, but if I could go the cheaper route for now. Has anyone been known to do this?

D

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I was looking at the stock control UCA today and was wondering if you can just remove some material. Kinda goofy to purchase $500+ UCA's when the ones I have are brand new. I understand if removing material weakens the entire stock UCA, but if I could go the cheaper route for now. Has anyone been known to do this?

D
With the way the stock ones are made (sheet steel folded over and then not welded together), removing some of the metal would extremely sacrifice the strength.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am so tempted to go this route and worry about a lift later on. I really like the way it looks. I also don't plan on going to the off road anytime soon. at least not planned that is.
i say go for it!

why? because just like most, youll spend most of your time on a maintained road. remove the mudflap and enjoy the look and more capable/aggressive should you choose. i am......

all to often people say "75% on road 25% off......." that would equate to a TON of off-road miles, and unless youre D'ing a baja 1000 rig, i bet even the most serious wheelers dont put an actual 1000 miles in on trails yearly (thats not to say that wheeling doesnt take its toll). seriously.......ive wheeled some very impressive spots and also DD the same vehicle (until it got to tedious not having a tow rig).......but only put a fraction of miles on the rig.......

Check your front upper control arms after a while - I bet you'll find them polished (paint worn off) from rubbing in tight turns. Not much of an issue, probably decreases your turning radius slightly.
check. thx.

i have noticed a slight decrease in braking capabilities, will like put hawk pads on at some point anyway, always do.

also, noticed slight acceleration loss, but not like i did on the 2009 4dr sahara wrangler i had........the engine and tranny combo in that thing blew chunks.......

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

D
With the way the stock ones are made (sheet steel folded over and then not welded together), removing some of the metal would extremely sacrifice the strength.
g0lden...i agree with layonnn......

they are cheap factory stamped steel.

dont cut or grind on them.

i am [now] running what i consider a pretty damn aggressive tire (its no bogger). it is slightly wider than i thought and i have had no isues rubbing the arms. i really tried to make it rub.......:thinkerg:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah I don't want to die or anything. If you guys suggest NOT to cut/grind the stock UCA's I'd better listen.
I would really like to run a set of tires that size. The boss lady would kill me if I got them and they didn't fit. Then told her I need more parts to make it fit. LOL

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im proof in the pudding that they fit.

real talk.

no gimmicks.

i said to myself at the shop the other day that "of these tires fit without serious rubbing and fitment issues, i'll be a chinese midwife".......

guess im looking for a new career.......

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
i said to myself at the shop the other day that "of these tires fit without serious rubbing and fitment issues, i'll be a chinese midwife".......

guess im looking for a new career.......
Very nice... How much?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts