Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is becoming more and more apparent that Black Bear will not be open by next week. My friend was up in Telluride all last week and they said it was not even close to being open. They went up Imogene and near the top there was a bulldozer blocking the road, beyond that was a snow field.

My question is what is plan B for the trails that are closed? I assume that those in charge would pick another trail and keep the times the same, but that is an assumption. Either way I am ready to get out of the heat and have some fun in Ouray.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hopefully they update this soon. But here is the latest from the forest service.

As of July1, 2008

*Be aware that passes can vary with weather this time of year. Some may be slick in areas, even if they are listed as accessible. We don't receive as many updates from the county or field staff this time of year. Please don't go beyond where you are comfortable driving. It is always good to carry chains with you at this time of year. Be safe out there!

BLACK BEAR PASS – Closed and won't be open until as late as August 1, but possibly as early as mid-July.
BOLAM PASS – Closed
CALIFORNIA – Closed. Should be open in a few days. County is going to plow through it.
CINNAMON PASS – Open
CUNNINGHAM GULCH – Open
CORKSCREW PASS – East side open to top, west side closed for maintenance.
ENGINEER PASS – Open
HURRICANE PASS - Open from Gladstone to the Ross Basin turn off, but closed further up. County is going to plow to top in a few days.
IMOGENE PASS - Closed, but should be open within a week.
KENNEBEC PASS – Open
LOBO OVERLOOK – Closed
MAGGIE GULCH -- Open
MINERAL POINT– Open
MINNEHAHA (Road 110) – Open
MINNIE GULCH -- Open
OPHIR PASS – Open
PICAYUNE- Open
PLACER- Open
POUGHKEEPSIE - Closed, should be open by August 1, but possibly as early as July 15.
ROARING FORK – Closed
SCOTCH CREEK – Open
STONY PASS – Open to Pole Creek.
TREASURE MOUNTAIN LOOP – Open

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pretty warm here last week. And this week same. Might melt enough snow to open but hard to say. Near record year for snow. As of May 1, Copper mtn had complete ski run coverage and two weeks later it was almost all melted. So anything can happen within a handful of really warm days.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If Black Bear is closed, I may take a "day off" and just do whatever. :) After all, this is a vacation isn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I will be at the hot springs pool Thursday afternoon with my kids.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
It's 54 Degrees in Ouray right now and cloudy. So with the weather that cool in town, at the higher Elev it will be in the 40's maybe even colder. It looks like it's not melting as fast due to the large amounts of snow they had this year.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Anyone know if another run might be substituted for Black Bear on the "organized" run list ?

Otherwise, it could turn into a disorganized mess of Black Bear flunkies driving in circles with no idea where to go or what to do for three days straight. :lookaround: :scared:

The only option in order to avoid overlapping with already existing trail runs would seem to be adding runs on other trails that aren't on the list . . . or as long as folks wait until after the organized runs have departed, they could go run whatever they want.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know if another run might be substituted for Black Bear on the "organized" run list ?

Otherwise, it could turn into a disorganized mess of Black Bear flunkies driving in circles with no idea where to go or what to do for three days straight. :lookaround: :scared:

The only option in order to avoid overlapping with already existing trail runs would seem to be adding runs on other trails that aren't on the list . . . or as long as folks wait until after the organized runs have departed, they could go run whatever they want.
That was my thought, there are plenty of trails to choose from, why not just switch those that are scheduled for Black Bear or other closed trails to ones that are open. I am sure that the insurance that was purchased would have a problem running on trails that are not listed as open and safe.

My friend that was up there last week rented an open top jeep and they wore shorts on the trails. They said it was nice and cool with plenty of runoff. I did pull up the extended forecast on weather.com and its not getting any warmer.

Anyone up for a snow ball fight?:cheers:

·
Registered
616 Posts
well...for what I understendm black was the hardest trail of the list (this is why I picked it..) so I just hope we can find something open with a challange

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Great attitude guys! Ya it would be a bummer to drive across the country and not be able to do some of the trails.

But there is still much to do. I'd do some of the lower trails, like Ophir and back on Last Dollar. Or geocaching, try fishing, or tour the mine.

I want to get lots of pictures of others rides and talk about mods. I want to look at ham radio installs. Getting ready to take my test soon.

We WILL have a good time!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I heard from a friend that Poughkeepsie may be closed for good???? As in, the environmentalists may have gotten it closed or possibly there is a huge slide blocking the trail....not just the normal snow pack.

Anyone know anything about this?

Best trail in the area in terms of scenery/challenge.

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I heard from a friend that Poughkeepsie may be closed for good???? As in, the environmentalists may have gotten it closed or possibly there is a huge slide blocking the trail....not just the normal snow pack.

Sean
I saw the closure list on this and was bummed, thinking the same...best challenge with scenery that is offered. I hope that it is only a rumor but the snow pack looks to keep it off the list regardless...

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts

Sean
I think I read somewhere that there was a big slide.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I saw the closure list on this and was bummed, thinking the same...best challenge with scenery that is offered. I hope that it is only a rumor but the snow pack looks to keep it off the list regardless...
Compared to your Rubicon trip....it's a yawner though....JIC you haven't done it before.

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Compared to your Rubicon trip....it's a yawner though....JIC you haven't done it before.

Sean
Yeah, only two obstacles, so it doesn't really compare to the con's number of obstacles. Hopefully it will open though. Last year at this point it was closed with not much confidence of it opening, and it still did. At the top it had a huge snow pile, but there was a path through it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't think the powers that be worry too much about getting Poughkeepsie open since it's not on the radar for most of the tourist population that happens to be the bread and butter of the local economies. They spend all their resources getting the tourist routes open, and in a year like this that will take all their time and manpower.

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts