Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..i am looking to purchase a plasma cutter for building, and auto projects...i dont know enough to run out and just grab one, so, i came to ask the all knowing forum!!!
looking at cutting no more then 1/2"...ive read good things about the miller brand, but came across what looks to be a good deal on an everlast set up, with mig and plasma..it ran 699 w/ shipping........would like to stay under the 1,000 mark to keep the boss happy(you guys know who SHE is)
any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
You can't buy a quality plasma cutter that will do 1/2" quality cuts for under $1000.

Don't skimp here.....save your pennies and buy the right one the first time or you'll throw good money after bad.

I'd recommend Thermal Dynamics for a plasma cutter, though I do have the Miller 625. The Miller is a nice machine, but you get more for your money with the innovator of the technology; TD.

Plan to spend $1600 or so for a good plasma that will cut 1/2".

Don't forget you also will need to buy consumables like tips and shields so price those too as they will be a recurring expense.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
5,137 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My recommendation would be to stick with your local welding dealer for this one.

I agree with sean k that the type you want will probably set you back more than $1000.00 although your dealer may have a used one that fits your needs.

I have found that having a close relationship with a local fabrication shop is cheaper than buying my own equipment:) AND it leaves room in my shop for more important stuff.

Doc

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
My recommendation would be to stick with your local welding dealer for this one.

I agree with sean k that the type you want will probably set you back more than $1000.00 although your dealer may have a used one that fits your needs.

I have found that having a close relationship with a local fabrication shop is cheaper than buying my own equipment:) AND it leaves room in my shop for more important stuff.

Doc

I've found the exact opposite.....a few projects and the welder, plasma, bender, notcher, air compressor, etc....pay for themselves. Not to mention the tools can be used for all kinds of things....not just automotive projects.

Plus, you now have the ability to do it yourself, to your standards and your specifications....something that, IMO, is worth more than any price tag you can put on it.

Sean

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is kinda my thinking, but not sure as to which plasma cutter is the best place to start...also thinking that i should just suck it up, spend the extra money for a little more then what i am currently thinking. that way, i dont end up spending more money down the road..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not To Change Subject But Im Looking To Buy A Mig Welder ,, One That Welds Sheet Metal To 1/2 Plate,and Resonable Priced . I Have 220 Service In My Garage. Maybe Belly Doc Has A Idea He's Seem To Be Jack Of All Trades

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have done 2 group buys for local guys here in Ontario on plasma cut 50 Dual voltage
The first was in the Spring and the second is actually due to arrive around the 25th. Granted i did these group buys for cost about $ 345 .00 usd but the feedback and my own observations on these little lunchbox plasmas have been nothing but good ( even from a couple of welding shops that use much higher priced equipment ) they make a really clean cut on 1/2" using the 220V . ( i found the 110v setting only good for 1/4" ) and it severs 5/8" with ease so you can find some decent machines at reasonable prices.

the 3in 1 machines that will be arriving use a cut 60 torch and the tig and stick . the output is up on this new model to 200amps
I have no experience with this machine as the last group buy where the 3 in 1 418 ( 4 meaning 40 cut 18 meaning 180 amp output )
but again the feedback i have from them is very positive. I know a lot of guys around here are looking forward to putting them through their paces to see how they perform

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I worked sheet metal for 7 years and I can understand the satisfaction of DIY. So I have been there, done that. Personally, my home shop consists of a mig welder and various cutting tools. I am pretty happy with that setup (less is more).

Now realizing that I may have a bit of an edge with the local fab shop since I cut checks for thousands of dollars there on a routine basis. The local fabrication shops can cut, bend, weld anything, exactly the way I want it in a fraction of the time that I could on home equipment. Most of the time I will fit the pieces (grinding and tac welding) and let the experts do the finish work. While the item is there...they can throw on some powder coat. All the fun and none of the work:) The cost is generally not that bad.

Not saying that this will work for you...but it works for me.

I would still strongly recommend buying your fabrication tools from a local source, the education and future service is worth the little bit higher price that you may pay. If you buy your tools online...good luck with any future services or parts. I love our local guys and they treat me well...it is a nice symbiotic relationship.

Doc

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I worked sheet metal for 7 years and I can understand the satisfaction of DIY. So I have been there, done that. Personally, my home shop consists of a mig welder and various cutting tools. I am pretty happy with that setup (less is more).

Now realizing that I may have a bit of an edge with the local fab shop since I cut checks for thousands of dollars there on a routine basis. The local fabrication shops can cut, bend, weld anything, exactly the way I want it in a fraction of the time that I could on home equipment. Most of the time I will fit the pieces (grinding and tac welding) and let the experts do the finish work. While the item is there...they can throw on some powder coat. All the fun and none of the work:) The cost is generally not that bad.

Not saying that this will work for you...but it works for me.

I would still strongly recommend buying your fabrication tools from a local source, the education and future service is worth the little bit higher price that you may pay. If you buy your tools online...good luck with any future services or parts. I love our local guys and they treat me well...it is a nice symbiotic relationship.

Doc

First off, we aren't spending "thousands" with local suppliers on a regular basis....so your experience will be markedly different than a hobbyist that only visits them a few times to buy a few high ticket items.

2nd, if you buy quality parts the first time, you shouldn't have to go back in for anything other than consumables. I haven't had ANY issues with any of my high dollar metal working tools (and they all have the same factory warranty anyway).....this is where you get what you pay for, and if I can save several hundred dollars by buying via mail order, I can put that money towards other, equally important things.

JMO,
Sean

·
Registered
5,137 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im also a believer in getting what you pay for..the biggest "safety net" for the everlast, is the 30 day money back gurantee, and the warranty..if it does NOT do what it should, and what it says it will do, then it WILL go back, and im back to being out $0.00....if that turns out to be the case, i will step it up to the miller or lincoln or hobert, or other, bigger named brand....

·
Registered
116 Posts
As i mentioned i am getting 40 of those particular machines towards the end of the Week and i am certainly eager to try it out. i think they will do the job with very little fuss. My reasoning for this is that the last group buy had a fair number of variety thrown in ac/dc , tigs , and 3in 1, mig welders ,cut 50s etc. There have been no issues with any of them over the last 6 months .
But i will post up my opinion and more importantly the opinion of a couple of local shops that have ordered them . I think i will likely start selling them on EBay .
Cheers.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
titan, let me know...ill do the same with mine...it was 699 out the door......should be here thurs, if not, then friday! plan on putting it to work this wknd.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts