Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser and after a spark plug change, differential and transfer case fluid change I was buttoning everything up and when I put on the plastic engine cover I noticed there was a missing fastener post. The bolt/stud on the left side ( looking at the engine) is missing. It was not in the nut when I pulled it off so I can only assume one of two things happened (1) the stud was loose and when I removed the nut it fell into the abyss of the air system and (2) somehow got past me and landed harmlessly in the driveway. If it's option (1) does anyone know if this will be an issue if I can't find it? I assume I will have to take the top part of the air intake off and whirl it around till I hear it rattling - if that's even possible given the number of hoses and wires. All help would be appreciated. I would offer pictures but its dark and raining at the moment and any pic would not be worth taking.:flame:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
One of the first things I did was remove that stupid looking plastic cover and throw it away

Not sure if the stud will allow a vacuum leak or if its harmless. The stud *might* be laying in one of the recesses of the plastic intake manifold.

If you can spot it, a magnetic pickup tool would work

I will look into my FJ to see if that stud can allow a vacuum leak. Fortunately I have a heated attached garage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. I assume it's somewhere in the plastic manifold but removing that beast looks to be a real effort. I tried going in from the filter side however the screen filter appears to be permanently fixed in position. To say the least I was 'upset'. I can go to the hardware store and grab a bolt to screw into the hold I just wanted to get an opinion as to whether having this thing rolling around in there would be harmful.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I bet you are! I'm saying that as a happily single and fun-loving bachelor

Anyway, i didn't try to remove one of the studs but they appear just retained into the plastic manifold. The best way to determine if the stud is creating a vacuum leak is to take a wire or coat hanger, put it into the hole left by the stud.

I simply can't see how the stud would have ended up *inside* the plastic intake manifold. It's just laying on top of the motor. If you look down, there are many nooks and crannies that stud could be hiding in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts