Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the answer will be get some better skid plates, but has anyone found a way to keep that plastic oil drain cover on the factory skid plate attached? I have had my FJ for just over a year and have drug off 2 of them. They are ~$30 to replace too. Seems a lot for a 6" piece of plastic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Zippy,

As many members have pointed out in other threads, the oil drain cover serves little to no purpose. Mine was lost long ago and there have been no issues. I'm not sure what the purpose was in the first place. I'd forgo the $30 and either invest in skids, or leave it be.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mine fell off long ago...

It would only provide the most minimal protection from debris, etc (as it simply falls out if you look crooked at it) so I considered the loss to be unimportant...especially at $30 to replace. Usually, that kind of stuff would really bother me and I would replace it, but I just didn't see the point because it's such a stupid design. You would probably be better off putting Duct Tape over the hole...would offer just as much protection...would last longer too.

If you can't tell, I'm slightly bitter about the stupidity of the design. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Might start watching the trails FJ's frequent-- probably a bunch of them scattered around. I lost mine first time in the woods.

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
266 Posts
:lol:

I get to join the oil drain cover Lost Boys club. I just got back from Colorado and discovered mine was gone. I'm sure it is sitting in the middle of the South Colony Lakes Road somewhere. Since my first oil change I thought it was a piece of crap. It is designed to fall off.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Am i the only one that has to almost use a crowbar to get theirs off??? And talk about a pain to put back in as well. What is mine made of to be so much stronger?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Kryptonite.. He's up to those tricks again...LOL.. Ron

Am i the only one that has to almost use a crowbar to get theirs off??? And talk about a pain to put back in as well. What is mine made of to be so much stronger?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
They fall off all the time, I say just invest in some skids!:rocker:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
WHile it's gone just consider it a new mod, call it the new oil drain breather mod. my first one went quick, my second is under there loose and dangly, but it just won't leave..lol! the more i bent up the skid plate the looser she gets.. I really think it is nothing to important under there, and , hey it lets the water drain out easier also.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I never saw mine. If someone has never lost theirs, I would say they are a whimp and unworthy of having an FJ-kind of those nerdy virgin kids that we all have known. Actually Toyota designed those to weed out the dedicated mall crawlers and it tells their service dept to charge double as a coddling fee if they find one attached.

·
Registered
458 Posts
first time out mine was gone it is probably right next to my reciver hitch cover:lol::lol: SEK ROCKS hotsteel41:rocker:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never saw mine. If someone has never lost theirs, I would say they are a whimp and unworthy of having an FJ-kind of those nerdy virgin kids that we all have known. Actually Toyota designed those to weed out the dedicated mall crawlers and it tells their service dept to charge double as a coddling fee if they find one attached.
I’m one of those wimps. Watch it! Mine is still on my original factory skids which are resting on a shed next to my garage. Did I mention my first mod was All-Pro Skids.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Lost mine the very first time I went off-road! Good for nothing piece of crap plastic tampering with my oil draining!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
When i was with the texas group wheeling at Katemcy, the trail leader was spotting on an obstacle and as i passed he handed me something, he said "here this fell off the guys in front of you FJ, can you hand it to him". It was the little plastic cover, haha.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
I lost my oil drain cover I would replace it but the design is such a piece of ****:)
Not only that but it is stupid expensive for what it is. Almost $20!

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts