Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to black out my FJ and was wondering the benefits of plastidip vs. paint. Other then being able to peel off plastidip, is there anything better about it then paint?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I used plastidip on my mirrors, grill, and a couple silver interior trim pieces and I totally regret it. I got peeling on the mirrors within a few months after power washing bugs off. And one of the interior pieces is also peeling after a few bumps and rubs. The only piece that held up is the grill. That’s most likely due to having a bumper with a grill guard and giant Light Force lights shielding the grill. And just to be clear, I thoroughly prepared every piece and applied numerous coats.
When I attempted to peel the plastidip off the mirrors to strip and paint, it was such a nightmare that I ended up just buying new mirrors.
So, if you plan on keeping the blackout look, do yourself a favor and use paint. Sand the pieces with some 320-400 grit sandpaper, wipe down with a good degreaser and apply paint in multiple light coats. If something gets in the wet paint during the process, wait until the paint completely dries to remove and then lightly wet sand the area and wipe down again. Then add another coat or two of paint. If you take your time, it will be a much more durable better quality finish than plastidip will ever be.
And if you want an even more durable finish, consider LineX or another bedliner product.
Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Plastidip sucks. Not only it's a nightmare to peel off, but also because it's rubberized and has a texture, dirt sticks to it like crazy and is much harder to clean off. So to answer your question, no, there's nothing better about it than paint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I was leaning this way but wanted to hear if anyone had a positive experiance with plastidip. I’ll be painting. Is 300 to 400 grit fine enough or should I use 600 to 800 grit for prepping?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Thanks all. I was leaning this way but wanted to hear if anyone had a positive experiance with plastidip. I’ll be painting. Is 300 to 400 grit fine enough or should I use 600 to 800 grit for prepping?
320 grit is what I used and it came out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used 600. Also worked fine.

Strip it, the Trail Teams black you seek is underneath.

Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover, Aerosol
Paint remover didn't work for me. Clearcoat mostly came off, but the silver mostly wouldn't, even after many applications. Had to just paint it over.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I don't know that I did anything special, but the Plastidip I put on my silver bumper parts is holding up great after 4 years. No regrets at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would stay away from plastidip as well. I just blacked my FJ out the past year or so....I went all in and ordered black mirrors, door handles, etc. Don't know if you want to spend the money or not, but just about all of my black out parts are Toyota TRD. I looked into plastidip, but I actually use my rig for my outdoor adventures...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've dipped my ENTIRE FJ in the past with Plasti-Dip and it held up great for 3 years and then when I peeled it, it came off in one sheet for each panel. The trick is proper prep and laying it thick enough and also spraying at the proper distance so there is no texture. Lots of guys say they prep properly, but proper prep is washing with a dish soap that removes wax, spraying the Dip Spray made by DYC, and then using VM&P Naptha afterwards to remove oils. Spraying the dip also takes a lot of practice. I used to do it professionally. You can see my FJ on my Instagram: eyedoctordips.

I found it very helpful when I was going down narrow trails. It prevented a lot of "trail rash" because the sticks and branches would rub against the dip as opposed to my factory paint. But again, it was layered thick-enough that it did not scratch or rip.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I would stay away from plastidip as well. I just blacked my FJ out the past year or so....I went all in and ordered black mirrors, door handles, etc. Don't know if you want to spend the money or not, but just about all of my black out parts are Toyota TRD. I looked into plastidip, but I actually use my rig for my outdoor adventures...
Lol, good one. My plastidipped bumper parts have seen a lot of brush branches (as evidenced by the condition of the paint on my fenders and doors) but have not peeled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts