Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, This is my first post.. have been looking on this forum for some time but haven't posted! I haven't been able to find any answers on previous posts so wondering if you can give me your advise.

My FJ was my first vehicle, bought it when I was in high school at 65,000 km (6 inch rough county lift among other things).
Now X years later I keep running into shock issues and have been for the last 5 years or so, every year my icon rear shocks leak (2.5 external reservoir) and get raked by the only mechanic in town authorized to "fix" them.

Every year my rear shocks start to leak even though I keep them clean and covered, my questions are:

1) is there anything causing this? It's frustrating I thought Icon was a quality brand unless I'm missing something..
2) I am mechanically inclined and am thinking I may rebuild them myself, what parts do you recommend I replace on this shock when I take it apart?
3) I've heard they're fairly easy to rebuild.. what are your thoughts on that?

If it helps I live up in cold Canada!

Thanks in advance!

· Banned
790 Posts
Are you sure they're the right length for your suspension? How many kms do you put on your FJ yearly? Does your truck have suspension limiters or is that the shocks' job?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure they're the right length for your suspension? How many kms do you put on your FJ yearly? Does your truck have suspension limiters or is that the shocks' job?

I believe they are the right length, however is there any specific way to check? The gentleman i bought it off of was a mechanic and put allot of time and money into building this so don't think he would of cut corners like that.
I put ~20,000 - 25,000 km on it annually.
No I don't believe I have suspension limiters - if I were to buy them do you think that would help my situation?

Thanks for your response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.